Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Foundation as a base cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Firming / Tightening Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamacat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Foundation as a base cream Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using a basic makeup foundation as a base for DMAE and Lipoic Acid? I've used several base creams, all oil free, and I always get very oily during the day unless I use nothing under my foundation (even sunscreens make me oily). Please don't tell me to use the DMAE/LA at night, I use my Vitamin C/E gel then, and I need both.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you 'get oily during the day' which implies that initially you are not oily. That suggest the oil doesn't come from the base creams you are using but your skin is on the oily side. To counteract that you should use mattifying foundation that contains powders like talk, silica or nylon or silicones like vinyl dimethicone. All those absorb and mattify skin oil. Just using 'oil free' products won't do.
mamacat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do have oily skin. I've tried the mattifying products, but they don't work for me. It's as if I rebound and get even more oily. I do better using "oil free" products.

If I don't use any creams, lotions or anything under my foundation I don't get quite as oily and only have to blot a couple of times a day. If I use anything under my foundation I'm blotting constantly.

I'm really having a difficult time. The less I put on my skin, the more balanced it stays. This is why I'm wondering if it is feasible to mix my actives with my foundation. I'm seeing more and more foundations with actives in them on the shelves, so.... I just wonder if there would be a problem with mixing DMAE and Lipoic Acid with a foundation. What ingredients should I look for that might react badly with them.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foundations usually have a lot of minerals in them so I'm not sure if those aren't going to react with the Lipoic Acid.

Have you tried using silicone primers (or Monistat Powser Gel) instead of foundation? Monistat is capable of keeping you matte the whole day and is compatible with creams below it.
mamacat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use the Monistat powder gel. Let me give you my regimen, then maybe you can help me better.

Mornings -- Right out of shower I apply my DMAE/LA (I am now trying it mixed in Monistat PG, but using vodka to dissolve LA and that won't mix with Monistat PG), then oil free sunscreen, then oil free makeup. Start getting oily about two hours later and blotting constantly. (today I'm going without sunscreen since foundation contains some and I'm not outside much anyway.) Though somedays I use only foundation and those are the days that I seem to be the least oily.

Evenings -- Wash face, apply Vitamin C & E gel (mixed in Monistat PG). Wake up somewhat oily in mornings.

I have been using a tiny dab of the Monistat PG with my foundation to make it spread smoother and thinner, but it sometimes looks cakey. I think that is the foundation I've been using.

I am trying a new foundation by Physicians Formula that contains a couple of actives, including Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (very little), so I'm thinking I might try using the C/E Gel in mornings and DMAE/LA cream at night.

Does that make sense? Honestly, I'm relatively new to mixing my own skincare products and could use all the guidance I can get.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend mixing Monistat with anything because that reduces its mattifying power. Monistat is supposed to be the last and separate layer on your skin, then it looks matte doesn't matter how oily the layer below is and doesn't interfere with absorbtion of actives. Sometimes Monistat is not compatible with some creams/sunscreens below it especially when the cream doesn't have enough adhession to skin. Then it drags the cream/sunscreen around.

If you want to measure the mattifying power, put ONLY Monistat one day (the same quantity as regular cream) and see if it keeps you matte the whole day.

I think it would be better to substitute sunscreen + foundation with tinted sunscreen. Less layers and it would look less caked. You could try to add actives directly to the sunscreen. DMAE will liquify Carbomer gel so avoid sunscreens that contain carbomer thickener. Put on top Monistat as a finishing layer and you won't have to blot so much hopefully.

When you go to bed, you don't need to look matte so Monistat is not necessary.
mamacat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started DIY skincare, I emailed Dr. T about mixing DMAE and Lipoic Acid with sunscreen and he told me to only mix actives with a cream that had Zinc Oxide only as a sunscreen agent. I have not been able to find a sunscreen that is oil free with Zinc Oxide as the only active ingredient. And I was told to use the Monistat as an anhydrous base for Vitamin C.

What if we took a different approach. How long does it take for the actives (DMAE/LA) to be absorbed into the skin? What if I washed my face when I got up in the morning, used my DMAE/LA cream, went through my normal pre-shower morning routine (breakfast, exercise, etc. -- about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.), showered -- washing off the cream, applied Monistat, then foundation that contains sunscreen? Do you think the actives would be as effective as leaving the cream on under my foundation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Firming / Tightening Ingredients All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: