Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Burt's Bee Sunscreen any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomahawk

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Burt's Bee Sunscreen any good? Reply with quote

Burt's Bee sunscreen all natural spf 15

List of ingrediants:
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 6.83%
Inactive Ingredients: Water, hemp seed oil, vegetable glycerin, stearic acid, wheatgrass extract, ricegrass extract, stoneroot extract, glucose, sucrose distearate, sucrose stearate, calendula extract, golden seal extract, witch hazel extract, comfrey extract, xanthan gum, sodium borate, lecithin, silica, acacia gum, alginic acid, orange oil, amyris oil, copaiba balsam oil, patchouli oil, sandalwood oil, guaiacwood oil, aluminum hydroxide, fragrance, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase.*

*Stearic acid = vegetable fat
Aluminum hydroxide = natural mineral
Glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase = natural preservative
Titanium Dioxide = natural sunscreen

I am a 22 year old male and have probably used sunscreen hmm maybe a dozen times in my life. I think I have some sun damage especially on my cheeks so I want to start using sunblock. Is this product any good?

Also, will it cause acne to a person that is somewhat prone to acne.

If this isn't up to par can you guys recommend a good sunscreen that won't cause acne or irratate skin and does not contain harmful chemicals. Also, will it be noticable i'm wearing this sun screen?

Thanks for the advice
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium dioxide does not provide enough protection from UVA rays which are the ageing rays. Find a sunscreen with high enough PPD factor for UVA.
tomahawk

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you suggest a brand?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45. It is non-greasy after it dries out and non irritable. I tint it with caramel food coloring or iron oxide to offset the pale tone from the micronized Zinc Oxide. It has PPD factor of about 10.

Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 has matte finish and doesn't require tinting. Not every face wash is going to be able to remove it though - I use Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser. It has PPD of about 10.

Some people with melasma reported that Shiseido is not protective enough. If you want even higher PPD factors you have to go for European or Canadian sunscreens with Mexoryl or Tinosorb sunblocks. Look for PPD about 20. Problem with those type of sunscreen is that often they are greasy or irritable. Anthelios Dermo Pediatrics Spray 40/PPD 18 was reported non greasy and non irritable but I haven't tried it.
Optimistic

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehrzn wrote:
Titanium dioxide does not provide enough protection from UVA rays which are the ageing rays. Find a sunscreen with high enough PPD factor for UVA.

I didn't know that. Where did you get your information from? I use Boots (a UK pharmaceutical company) 'Soltan Once' with an SPF of 40. It contains titanium dioxide and no zinc, but says that it also contains [i]"Optisol an innovative new ingredient to provide double sun protection". [/i]

Anyone know if it's good protection or not?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register on makeupalley.com , it's free and read the 'sunscreenFAQ' notepad. It contains all the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: