Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Phony Noni?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisper9999

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Phony Noni? Reply with quote

I recently started taking 8 oz pomegranate juice and a serving or two of Noni, both of which of course are powerful antioxidants. My wife commented on how the skin on my face became as smooth as a baby's.

Since then I have stopped taking the Noni (but have continued taking the pomegranate) and I've noticed my skin is better but not super smooth like it was. I will keep taking the pomegranate because there are now a number of studies showing how good it is for the cardiovascular system and endothilium. But I stopped taking Noni because I didn't know how well know the long term effects are? Have humans taken Noni for decades to where we know it's safe to take for 30, 40 or 50 years?

Has anyone else noticed this effect on their skin with Noni? (I'm not in any way advertising for Noni. If fact, I bought mine at Walmart!)

Any advice or stories would be much appreciated...
jamesherried

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Phony Noni? Reply with quote

Whisper9999 wrote:
I recently started taking 8 oz pomegranate juice and a serving or two of Noni, both of which of course are powerful antioxidants. My wife commented on how the skin on my face became as smooth as a baby's.

Since then I have stopped taking the Noni (but have continued taking the pomegranate) and I've noticed my skin is better but not super smooth like it was. I will keep taking the pomegranate because there are now a number of studies showing how good it is for the cardiovascular system and endothilium. But I stopped taking Noni because I didn't know how well know the long term effects are? Have humans taken Noni for decades to where we know it's safe to take for 30, 40 or 50 years?

Has anyone else noticed this effect on their skin with Noni? (I'm not in any way advertising for Noni. If fact, I bought mine at Walmart!)

I've heard that a mixture of noni,acai,goji berry and mangosteen can be even more effective than any one of them taken alone, due to the synergistic effects of the four juices combined. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but I 'd like to try that mixture. But the one they sell at the health food store near me is expensive ($26 a small bottle). For that matter, the Goji berry juice alone is expensive too (about the same price), but the health claims made for it are pretty amazing. But if that mix of the four can give the results you got(or even better), it might be worth it.
Whisper9999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Phony Noni? Reply with quote

jamesherried wrote:
Whisper9999 wrote:

I've heard that a mixture of noni,acai,goji berry and mangosteen can be even more effective than any one of them taken alone, due to the synergistic effects of the four juices combined. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but I 'd like to try that mixture. But the one they sell at the health food store near me is expensive ($26 a small bottle). For that matter, the Goji berry juice alone is expensive too (about the same price), but the health claims made for it are pretty amazing. But if that mix of the four can give the results you got(or even better), it might be worth it.

Thx for the info! I genuinely appreciate it. I'm a little scared of herbs without a significant amount of history. I also am reluctant to spend money on things that don't have some studies behind them. So if you know about any studies, I'd be VERY int'd.

But I do appreciate the info. I just only have so much money to spend on supplements and buy most everything I take at Walmart and Target and the Noni is $10/week at Walmart!

Please let me know any other skin supplement tips you've heard about. I am going to read up on these in spite of what I've said and may try them possibly.

As an update last night my wife made the same comment about my skin but I had not used any Noni for several weeks. What I substituted was Cocao (about 1.5 T mixed with 1T sugar to make it pallatable) and 50 mg of Pycnogenol. So every day I get a lot of the heavy hitter antioxidants orally: Grape Seed Extract, Pycnogenol, Cocao, 1.5 g Vit C and 6 oz Pomegranate Juice (and 50 mg CoQ10). I've also cut back a lot on sugars and starches and, if you put it all together, it seems to make a big difference on my skin.

Any tips are much appreciated...
Whisper9999

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phony Noni? Reply with quote

jamesherried wrote:
Whisper9999 wrote:

Btw, what do you mean by "more effective"? On one's skin? Or on the immune system? Noni has a reputation for boosting the immune system (as many of the antioxidants do), so I was wondering exactly what you meant.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be afraid at all of the long terms effects of noni, because noni is a fruit (like goji berry, acai and mangosteen), not an herb. Of course, too much of anything can be bad, but a cup of noni a day isn't going to hurt you at all in the long term, or those no reason at all to believe it is.
Whisper9999

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesherried wrote:
I wouldn't be afraid at all of the long terms effects of noni, because noni is a fruit (like goji berry, acai and mangosteen), not an herb. Of course, too much of anything can be bad, but a cup of noni a day isn't going to hurt you at all in the long term, or those no reason at all to believe it is.

I agree with what you're saying overall, but I guess a question might be "is Noni a fruit that is eaten regularly?" I know, for example, that there are berries that are poisonous, right?
Whisper9999

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesherried wrote:

And, btw, thx for your posts. I've inadvertantly ended up reading quite a few of them and they've been very helpful...
jamesherried

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure noni isn't poisonous. If it were, you 'd know about it and they wouldn't be selling it in stores. And my understanding is that people have been consuming it for centuries in certain parts of the world.

As far as the combination of goji berry, noni, mangosteen and acai juices goes, I don't know if the combination is more effective (than just any one used alone) in terms of antioxidant effects only, or if it applies to other benefits also. I've just read that the 4 juices combined have a synergistic effect that outperforms the effects of any one of those juices used alone. I guess all you can do is try the combination and see what happens, if you're willing to spend $26.99 a bottle. Maybe you can get it cheaper online though.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intriguing thing about the noni, goji berry, acai, mangosteen juice mixture is that it's made up of four of the most anti-oxidant rich foods on earth. For example, I've read that Goji berries have an ORAC (oxygen radical absorption capacity) of 18,500, and mangosteen has an ORAC of 27,000. Compare that with the ORAC of green tea, which is about 3,000, which is still high though. Dark chocolate, another antioxidant rich food, has an ORAC of 13,500. I don't know the ORACs of acai or noni, buy I would guess that they're pretty high.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info about noni from the Internet, but it specifically refers to a brand of noni called TAHITIAN NONI, which costs $42 a bottle (one liter).

What Health Conditions Does Noni Benefit?

The most common question I receive is how Noni affects a specific health challenge or challenges. However, since TAHITIAN NONI® Juice is a natural health product, Tahitian Noni International and its independent distributors are prohibited by the FDA from making any medical claims regarding their products. That includes the listing of specific health issues and any instructions as to how much to drink for specific health issues.

What we can report is that the Noni works on the cellular level, which means it can have a beneficial effect on the entire body. It can also increase mental clarity and attention span, as well as increase physical performance levels. It has also been shown to benefit the following systems of the body:

Immune System - Supports the immune system's natural ability to fight disease and infection.

Circulatory System, Tissues, and Cells - TAHITIAN NONI® Juice is a superior antioxidant that helps rid the body of harmful free radicals. It also increases energy levels.

Digestive System - TAHITIAN NONI® Juice supports proper digestion and helps you absorb more nutrients at the cellular level.

Skin and Hair - TAHITIAN NONI® Juice contains components that are specifically important to the skin and hair. It also helps carry beneficial substances to the skin.

To be more specific, research has identified over 150 beneficial nutraceutical compounds in the Noni fruit, including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, and other important compounds that are currently the focus of intensive research.

For more specific information, there are many books, booklets, and tapes that have been published by doctors, researchers, and individuals with extensive knowledge and experience with Noni.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testimonials from doctors and patients

"Noni juice works fantastically for many conditions throughout the body because it works with the glands, starting with the pineal gland located at the base of the brain. Then it controls all the other glands below it starting from the thymus and thyroid all the way down to the reproductive glands. The way a gland works is that if you don’t use it, you lose it. By using noni juice however, the glands get gradually rejuvenated and are able to function better. In essence, noni helps the body repair itself by making the glands work at their utmost capacity…At the clinic we’ve used noni juice to help patients with diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, asthma and colitis…I’ve worked with a variety of natural products and I’ve seen them work for some patients and not work for others. But with noni juice, everybody seems to have a positive result."

Maria Odegbaro MD, Brooklyn, New York

"I used to be unable to sleep on my stomach because of back pain. Noni not only took care of that, it relieved the pain in my left shoulder. Noni has also increased my energy level. Since then I have used noni juice on about seventy of my patients… One diabetic patient with chronic back pain found that for the first time in fifteen years he could bend over and pick up balls on the tennis court…the other day he told me he’d had a case of Bell’s palsy. His family physician had told him he’d be laid up for six weeks with a patch on his swollen eye, but he doubled the amount of noni juice he was taking and in three days all of his symptoms were gone."

Bryant Bloss MD, Evansville, Indiana

"The most amazing situation I know of is a woman with AIDS, Since she has been drinking noni, her T-cell count has gone from 169 to 400 and her symptoms have stabilised. I also have a relative with lung cancer whose tumours have decreased in size since he’s been taking noni."

Delton Hatton DC, chiropracter

"One of my patients was suffering from kidney cancer with metastases, the movement of malignant cells, to her lung and brain. She had been given only two weeks to live. Within that two week period she took noni juice and it cleared up her lung lesions…Another patient had liver cancer and a swelling of fluid in the abdominal area. After seven days on noni juice this ascitic fluid cleared up completely. She and the first case I mentioned were terminally ill cancer patients who no-one anticipated would make it, but they are alive today because of noni."

Mona Harrison MD, Washington DC

"Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had six rounds of chemotherapy and was in bed for a week after each treatment. Each time I started to get better, it was time for another round of chemotherapy. I was scheduled to have breast surgery a month after my last treatment. My body was so weak I didn’t feel strong enough to even survive the surgery. Then I heard about noni and started taking it a week after my last treatment. I wanted to boost my immune system to get my body ready for surgery. It worked – when I went in for surgery, I had plenty of energy…I came through it great and I was home by the third day!…My stepdaughter’s friend was diagnosed with cancer of the lungs and throat and given twelve weeks to live. I gave her a case of noni juice and a month later the doctor couldn’t find any trace of the cancer."

Bobbye Patterson, cancer patient

"Noni has generated more calls from clients about its benefits than any other product I have ever recommended. On a daily basis I see people who have benefitted from it amazingly. From the experiences people have shared, I feel noni has universal applications. Noni juice should be included as a part of everybody’s daily nutrition because it helps us absorb essential nutrients from our diets and supplements. Noni is the missing piece of the health puzzle."

Allan Bailey, naturopathic pharmacist

(Note: These testimonials are abstracted from statements published in Health News, a publication of Triple R Publishing Inc, Clackamas, Oregon 97015
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the testimonials, I don't think noni has been rigorously studied. Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evidence of absence [of benefits] but some hard data would be nice...
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
For all the testimonials, I don't think noni has been rigorously studied. Absence of evidence is not necessarily the evidence of absence [of benefits] but some hard data would be nice...

I was reading the book "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" (forgot the author's name), and the author claims that one study showed that noni contains a compound that's shown to be 40 times more powerful at preventing cancer than sulforophane, which I believe is a compound in cruciferous vegetables that's supposed to have anti-carcinogenic properties. I actually like that book because the author tends to be on the skeptical side, and he said he always look for scientific studies. So in the case of noni, he said he didn't believe any of the amazing claims made for it right off. He said he looked for scientific evidence, and after that he was impressed. So he gave noni juice a star (meaning it's one of his "super foods") amongst his list of the 150 healthiest foods on earth. I'm aware that more evidence is always ideal, but before that happens, there are those who may decide to try noni anyway to get any possible benefits. And if the notion that noni or goji juice can give one smoother skin seems hard to believe, consider this: many claim that it's the unique polysacchardies found in goji and noni that are responsible for some of their beneficial effects (including those pertaining to the skin), and beta glucan is an example of a polysaccharide that supposed to be good for your skin. Maybe the ones in goji and non are even better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: