Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Question about SPF measurements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatJNJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Question about SPF measurements Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether European manufacturers use the same criteria for determining SPF measurements as U.S. companies?

I recently bought a moisturizer from Greece that has an SPF of 6. I have heard that the SPF in European products translates to a higher U.S. SPF. In other words, the SPF 6 in the Greek product might be the equivalent of SPF 12 here. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
sophia_town

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: American vs. European Reply with quote

Hi there...

I found this information:

American SPF numbers differ from European SPF numbers

There are two systems for specifying a sunscreen's protection: an American system and a European system. As a rule, American SPF numbers are double the SPF numbers on European products. An American SPF 8 sunscreen is equivalent to European SPF 4. Remember to check which system is being used when you buy a sunscreen, and ask the pharmacist if you are in doubt.

on the website: tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/000472.html

There's a lot of good info there so maybe you want to check it out.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: