Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Okay, I did something really stupid - majorly inflamed skin!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessica9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Okay, I did something really stupid - majorly inflamed skin! Reply with quote

Hi,
If anyone could help offer a potential solution to my problem I would really appreciate it; I'm rather desperate.

I am 27 and normally have absolutely no breakouts. So I use products for normal to dry skin normally. Well, I am going through a particularly stressful time and I broke out in a way I haven't since age 19 probably.

My problem is, I did something really dumb and decided to do a glycolic peel (30%) at home to burn off the pustules. Well, I look like a monster - the acne looks far worse and is very inflamed. I don't know what to use, as I have no acne products (besides .01 retin a, which i don't use for acne). What is the best way to bring down the inflammation from the peel and help the acne?

I don't want to leave my house looking like this - not to mention my face hurts quite a bit. I have tea tree oil, which I read on the main page helps as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent. Anything else? I have fish oil capsules that I have been taking orally. I even have aloe capsules and liquid silicon. I'm trying to prevent my skin from scarring from this breakout. I don't have acne scars. Am I worrying too much or should I be concerned? I've been using tea-tree oil and neosporin. Will one major inflammatory response accelerate aging, or am I worrying too much? Any help is appreciated. The peel seems to have brought out new pustules. They are small, but now I seem to have made the problem worse. The "stressful situation" does not allow me time to visit a dermatologist for at least a week. [/b]
jessica9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I thought I would mention that I am using the Neosporin because the pimples were "oozing" after the peel. I did the peel late last night - about six hours ago - and there is still a bit of oozing. I know Neosporin has ingredients that clog pores, but I do not want to irritate my skin further. The oozing seems to come out more with the Neosporin and I can see it in the ointment. I'm just sort of lost as to what to try! Will my skin calm down soon after this peel? Any thoughts?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tea tree oil - its irritable. Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, emu oil, vaseline, jojoba oil are all fine. If the peel did not lead to open wounds, the skin should normalize till Monday. Do not irritate it - no washes or anti-acne topicals.
jessica9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehrzn wrote:
No tea tree oil - its irritable. Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, emu oil, vaseline, jojoba oil are all fine. If the peel did not lead to open wounds, the skin should normalize till Monday. Do not irritate it - no washes or anti-acne topicals.

ahh! thank you for your response, orangehrzn! Yes, I tried the tea tree oil and yes, I think it just further inflamed my skin. I'm hoping it will normalize Monday. I checked out an acne board and found some tips to try food and supplement wise in case of emergency; it's already looking a bit better - a little less inflamed.

May run out to and get some triple antibiotic ointment and jojoba oil. I have some vaseline. Wish I had emu oil left.

I think I've learned my lesson with the glycolic acid. Irritation leads to inflammation, which leads to problem skin no matter what.
organicsoapgal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would mostly just leave it alone, and let your face heal a bit. If it seems like it is getting worse, I would go to a dermatologist, and have them check out.
NancyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your situation is a good lesson for us all. I've had peels done before - by a Dermatologist. They are scary. I'd never attempt one myself. I would leave it up to a skin professional. Don't think you'll be trying one again too soon!
Hope your skin heals quickly with no scarring.
marsto911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Peel Reply with quote

Hi Jessica,

Hope your face is better.

The thing I would be concerned about is possible scarring. It is difficult to picture something with only words, but from your description, you might have burns that need medical intervention.

Did you get blisters?

How long did you leave the peel on?

Did your skin turn white or frost before you stopped the peel?

How did you prep the skin before you did the peel?

How did you neutralize it?

Just curious. Hope others can learn from your experience.

Marilyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: