Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Why not oil instead of cream?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
antdatt



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 14
Location: New York, New York

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Why not oil instead of cream? Reply with quote

This is something I've been wondering about for some time, and I probably don't know enough information, but what is the difference between applying Vitamin E/other antioxidants in oil form versus as a cream? is oil better for people with dry skin? is cream absorbed better than oil?
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use extra virgin, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil as a base for fat soluble ingredients. I prefer that to a cream, since my guess is that it allows for better absorption of the active ingredients than a cream would, and you can avoid any harmful ingredients that may be in the cream. I would apply it only at night though, before bed, not during the day, since the coconut oil can make the skin too greasy for a while.

Ideally, I would use sea buckthorn oil as a base (because of all the beneficial phytochemicals it contains), but I haven't gotten around to that yet.
Back to top
View user's profile
antdatt



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 14
Location: New York, New York

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're using coconut oil as a base and then adding active ingredients too? it seems so much easier that way.. do you use the same concentration of active ingredients per ounce of oil as cream?
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do use the same concentration of ingredients for the ounce of coconut oil as I would for the ounce of cream. And I keep the mixture in the regrigerator almost all of the time. But with coconut oil, you have to take it out of the regrigerator at least an hour before using it, since coconut oil becomes solid at low temperatures. I see no advantage to using a base cream instead of coconut oil, since generally (with the DIY approach) you're not using the cream because of any active ingredients it contains, you're just using it as a base for the active ingredients you're adding to it. In fact, some creams that are intended as moisturizers might not be the best ways to deliver active ingredients to the skin, since the properties of the cream that tend to "lock in" the water in your skin may also tend to "lock out" the active ingredients you add to the cream. So ideally, I prefer serums and gels for the delivery of active ingredients, and then use creams for moisturizing purposes. So I see the DIY coconut oil mixture as a fat-soluble serum of sorts, and I just apply it over a DIY vitamin C serum that I make (with Pycnogenol or grape seed extract). I wait for at least 15 minutes before applying the coconut oil mixture over the Vitamin C serum. I should mention that one person here said that coconut oil cause them to break out. But since I've never had that problem, I continue to use it.
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be one potential problem with using the coconut oil instead of a cream. If you make the DIY mixture the way I do and according to the DIY instructions with lycopene ( I also add lutein/zeaxanthin, which is also red), the mixture will be red in color. And if you apply too much, the oil could drift into your mouth and stain your teeth. I haven't had any problem with that yet, but I guess it's a possibility. One way to avoid it might be to apply the coconut oil mixture while it's still semi-solid (not yet liquid), after it's been out of the refrigerator for about an hour. In that case, the coconut oil mixture will be less mobile on your skin, and less likely to drift into the mouth, I would think.
Back to top
View user's profile
antdatt



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 14
Location: New York, New York

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found your current combination to be beneficial? I'd love to know any good books you might have read that you'd recommend. I was looking at making an astaxanthin topical but I know it's just one antioxidant and may not be as effective as multiple antioxidants mixed together.

I've also read that Emu oil is similar in composition to the oils on human skin and was thinking it might be a good topical base as well. Skinbiology sells an Emu oil which they say
Quote:
contains 100% pure Emu Oil (AEA Certified, Fully Refined) plus anti-oxidants normally found in skin such as CoQ-10, tocotrienols, tocopherols, leutin and lycopene.
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have found my current combination to be beneficial. I actually plan to try using sea buckthorn oil instead of coconut oil, since that appears to have more beneficial phytochemicals than coconut oil. But since I couldn't make a quick decision as to which brand of sea buckthorn oil to use, or whether it's better to use the "seed" oil or the "pulp" oil (or a combination of the two), I just bought some organic, extra virgin coconut oil (NOW brand) at the health food store for seven dollars. That's a lot cheaper than sea buckthorn oil, but sea buckthorn oil is probably even better for your skin, and I think there's more research to back up it benefits for the skin. When using sea buckthorn oil though, I would use less lycopene in the mixture, since sea buckthorn oil has lycopene I believe (as well as other carotenoids and tocopherols). I have never used emu oil yet, but I 'm sure that you can make the mixture using that too, and I know that they recommend that oil on skinbiology. I think my first choice would be sea buckthorn oil though. I still have not used astaxanthin, but I though about adding it to the mixture. I know that Dr. Perricone highly recommends astaxanthin (for its powerful antioxidant properties) in his books. I would recommend Dr. Perricone's books. His latest book, "Ageless Face, Ageless Mind" is especially useful and interesting, and so are his previous books. But I don't buy his products or supplements.
Back to top
View user's profile
antdatt



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 14
Location: New York, New York

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll definately buy his new book then, thanks! I've looked at his products and supplements too and it's all so expensive. I'm not sure if mentioning specific products is a good idea but one of them (a moisturizer) is very expensive... but one of the active ingredients is Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, which can be purchased relatively cheaply. I guess some of the prices in his line have to cover other things like advertising and manufacturing and other costs. I really don't know for sure though, and maybe it is expensive to make some of the products.
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antdatt wrote:
i'll definately buy his new book then, thanks! I've looked at his products and supplements too and it's all so expensive. I'm not sure if mentioning specific products is a good idea but one of them (a moisturizer) is very expensive... but one of the active ingredients is Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, which can be purchased relatively cheaply. I guess some of the prices in his line have to cover other things like advertising and manufacturing and other costs. I really don't know for sure though, and maybe it is expensive to make some of the products.


Actually I don't really recommend Dr. Perricone's products (for various reasons), but I think that his books have a lot of useful information. And it's crazy that he would charge so much for his supplements. I haven't checked his prices lately, but it used to be that his alpha-lipoic acid supplements costed 10 times as much as a good brand from the health food store! And it wasn't even R-lipoic acid. I thought, how could anyone fall for this? But I know a few people who did, out of ignorance. But I do recommend his books, especially his latest ones, and his dietary advice.
Back to top
View user's profile
Ton



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesherried wrote:
So ideally, I prefer serums and gels for the delivery of active ingredients, and then use creams for moisturizing purposes. So I see the DIY coconut oil mixture as a fat-soluble serum of sorts, and I just apply it over a DIY vitamin C serum that I make (with Pycnogenol or grape seed extract). I wait for at least 15 minutes before applying the coconut oil mixture over the Vitamin C serum. I should mention that one person here said that coconut oil cause them to break out. But since I've never had that problem, I continue to use it.


Do you have a basic recipe of a serum/gel to which you add your water soluble actives?
Back to top
View user's profile
jamesherried



Joined: 07 May 2005
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ton wrote:
jamesherried wrote:
So ideally, I prefer serums and gels for the delivery of active ingredients, and then use creams for moisturizing purposes. So I see the DIY coconut oil mixture as a fat-soluble serum of sorts, and I just apply it over a DIY vitamin C serum that I make (with Pycnogenol or grape seed extract). I wait for at least 15 minutes before applying the coconut oil mixture over the Vitamin C serum. I should mention that one person here said that coconut oil cause them to break out. But since I've never had that problem, I continue to use it.


Do you have a basic recipe of a serum/gel to which you add your water soluble actives?


I would get the DIY InfoPack to find that out.
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group