Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Minimal Sun Exposure & Sunscreen Usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HealthySkinAge36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Minimal Sun Exposure & Sunscreen Usage Reply with quote

If most of my day is spent inside the office building at work, and my only outside time is the time of walking out of the building at 4 PM and back to the car (less than 1 minute?), then sunscreen is probably not necessary, right?

Or should I still apply it at around 3:30 pm?

What do you all do if your outside time is next to nothing?
8)

thank you
Peggy
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UVA penetrates windows easily and those are the aging rays so if you are in direct sunlight you need the sunscreen.
jones10021

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, I agree. It's better to be more cautious now than regret later.
HealthySkinAge36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been using the sunscreen every morning after I brush my teeth, go to the car and go to work (7:30 am). Bioderma Photoderm max 50+ (my very first post here talked about the burning sensation I would get 2 hours AFTER application. But that feeling has stopped).

Anyway - I don't like the way it looks on my face. It's very shiny at first, then later looks like rolled up little pieces of white particles all over my face, esp in the eye/crow feet sections.

Is there another brand out there - giving the high UVA/UVB protection that European sunscreens offer, but without the visible refuse?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Euro all-chemical sunscreens are all shiny. They still don't get it that consumers demand matte every-day sunscreens.

If you need reasonable but not that high protection as the Euro sunscreens, the best, truly matte all-chemical USA susncreen is the Dri-Blok line of Banana Boat.

I am very satisfied with the protection it offers for everyday exposure, havent tested it on the beach or under extreme conditions like in the dessert. It is truly matte and it even manages to mattify my oily skin till the end of the day so I don't need extra mattifier on top. Like every chemical sunscreen out there, it will bother eyes if it gets into them, so I use a hybrid ZnO+octinoxate sunscreen around the eyes. Dri-Blok gives warm sensation 5 mins after application, but after that you don't feel it or see it at all.

Last edited by orangehrzn on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
HealthySkinAge36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, orange. I will pick up a bottle of BB this weekend. I don't really need super high often at all. I like being outside either early, before 7 am or later around 7 pm to walk.

also, what's the hybrid eye area sunscreen you have? I might want to get some also :-)
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hybrid I use around the eyes is Sofina Perfect UV Lucent SPF 50+. It contains 14% ZnO and metoxycinnamate 4%. The USA SPF at that concentration of zinc, is probably 25 not 50, the difference is probably due to differences in standards between Japan and USA in SPF testing. This SS is kind of expensive, only around the eyes it will last long time. I bought it initially for the face but its too chalky for me, if you use foundation thought it will be perfectly acceptable below the foundation.

Another, that I would recommend around the eyes only is Solar Rx SPF 30+ by Keys. It contains 19% nano zinc. It doesn't bother the eyes at all, but makes my face itchy at places, and can't mattify oily skin, so I stopped using it. You can get a sample of that for $10 including shipping from their website keys-soap.com

Last edited by orangehrzn on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
HealthySkinAge36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the info and website with sample. Sweet!

I was searching the internet and found a list of sunscreens with the SPF and PPD rating (from a real estate website of all places!)

the site was yourorlandoconsultant(dot)wordpress(dot)com(backslash)

Scroll down a bit to see the list of numbers...

I have no idea how they found those PPD numbers though... but I thought it was helpful/informative.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea who measured the PPD factors in that table. It would be very helpful if the skin deep enviromental group that 'rates' the safety of sunscreens based only on ingredients and 'research articles overview' actually measures the UV transmition and publishes the graphs for all the 1000 sunscreens they tabulate.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think banana boat changed the formula for their Dri-Blok spray cause it is no longer as matte as before - I tried it today on face and it's not matte at all.

The Dri-Blok lotion in the plastic tube, not the metallic spray is as matte as ever. Keep that in mind if you are buying.
HealthySkinAge36

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks orange. I had quickly read your update the other day about BB's formula change but didnt write it down.... ended up shopping for it today and took a chance on the flat plastic bottle (Sport - DriBlock). It's definitely not shiny. So I got the right one. Yes! lol

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: