Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Vitamin C Study Question For The Dr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancebr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Vitamin C Study Question For The Dr. Reply with quote

Hello Dr.:

The study link below was recently brought to my attention which basically says that Vitamin C does increase the production of collagen, but at the same time also decreases the production of elastin.

jbc.org/cgi/content/abstract/272/1/345

What is your opinion on this? Can vitamin C possibly decrease the production of elastin?

Thanks

LB
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting article but without human clinical studies of the effects of common topical vitamin C formulations on elastin synthesis, it is hard to say how relevant this data is. On the other hand, topical C has been clinically shown to improve fine lines and wrinkles. There is no need to use topical C all of the time, just do periodic courses, so, even it depresses the production of elastin, you'll give elastin levels time to recover.

That said, elastin is important and steps to boost it make sense regardless of whether you are periodically using topical C or not.

See smartskincare.com/skinbiology/skinbiology_elastin.html
kim_berlyski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Vitimin C Stability Reply with quote

Maybe you can help me with my question. Recently at a spa I was informed about Vitamin C, and how it is very good for aging skin.
The derm also told me that "Unfortunately, Vitamin C is very unstable. If exposed to oxygen, it oxidizes becomes almost ineffective." They showed me one prduct (c-vit) that supposedly is "stabilized" with something preventing it from oxidizing.
The problem is it is a bit expensive.

I am wondering is this true? does vitamin c really oxidize? Can it be stabilized? and is it still good for your skin after stabelized?

Thanks a bunch
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does oxidize but there are affordable ways to deal with it, including DIY approach. See my articles on vitamin C, its formulations and its derivatives here smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/
suzq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard alot of good things about Vitamin C Serum from E Burnham Co. You have to get it from the website.
SQ
jands

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not list the ingredients on their website, so there is no way to find out what makes it 'better' than other C formulations.
tanya_yakobo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: C-vit Reply with quote

Kimberly, C-vit is actually not a product but a product line, and it is very effective. In comparasion to some of the other "stabelized" vitamin c from other companies, it is moderatley priced.

I did want to commet on the coment made by jands. Im not sure what product you were refering to, but in all c-vit products, all ingredients are listed, atleast on the manufacture website anyway (sesderma).
Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the benifits of topical Grape Seed extract vs. a Vit. C form, like MAP.

I know that both MAP and Grape Seed are good antioxidants, but does MAP do more for your skin in other ways than Grape Seed? Or, if in fact, Vit. C does inhibit elastin, might Grape Seed be the better choice?

I doubt that there are any side-by-side sudies, but I would be very interested in hearing Dr. Todorov's opinion?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the inhibition of elastin by C in "real life" is a speculation, where vit C it is proven to stimulate collagen, which grape seed extract does not.
Valie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me if there is a difference between Ascorbic acid and L-ascorbic acid? I read that L-ascorbic acid is the best form of vit.c you can use.

I noticed that almost all vit.C powders are packed in clear, plastic bags. Can vitamin C oxidize when it is still in a powder form or it begins to oxidize whe we mix it with other ingredients?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formally, ascrobic acid is a mix of two forms (optical isomers) D and L. However, sometimes people imprecisely say or write "ascrobic acid" when refrerring to just L-ascorbic acid, which is vitmain C.

There would be some relatively slow oxidation of dry C powder exposed to sunlight and air. However, oxidation is much faster if there is water present.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formally, ascorbic acid is a mix of two forms (optical isomers) D and L. However, sometimes people imprecisely say or write "ascorbic acid" when referring to just L-ascorbic acid, which is vitamin C.

There would be some relatively slow oxidation of dry C powder exposed to sunlight and air. However, oxidation is much faster if there is water present.
mills

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr .t when you say perodically use topical c . how many times a week?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "periodically", I mean using it for a few weeks (e.g. 6-8 weeks), then makes a break for a few weeks or even months; then repeat.
jamie555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
By "periodically", I mean using it for a few weeks (e.g. 6-8 weeks), then makes a break for a few weeks or even months; then repeat.

I agree. I follow nearly that exact regime, and the results have been great for me over the long term. Also get a smooth brighter complexion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: