Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

STUBBORN magnesium stearate!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trav859

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: STUBBORN magnesium stearate! Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Todorov!

How do I dissolve magnesium stearate? I am trying to dissolve Yohimbine powder with magnesium stearate in witch hazel and water. I can't find a pure yohimbine anywhere.

I use yohimbine to spot reduce fat in persistent body parts.

HELP! Thanks very much doctor.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnesium stearate is chemically similar to soap scum and is similarly difficult to dissolve in common vehicles. You easiest bet is to find a different source for your actives. Also, I have serious doubts that topical yohimbine is indeed effective in spot-reducing fat.
trav859

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Magnesium stearate is chemically similar to soap scum and is similarly difficult to dissolve in common vehicles. You easiest bet is to find a different source for your actives. Also, I have serious doubts that topical yohimbine is indeed effective in spot-reducing fat.

There's a lot of topical Yohimbine cream brands already marketed to spot reduce fat and numerous anecdotal posts from bodybuilding fora have shared positive results since '03.

I guess I'll just try acetic acid.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the research, yohimbine actually does not seem particularly effective. On the other hand, aminophylline seem to be potentially useful as topical fat reducer. See link and abstracts below.

--------------------------------------------
medscape.com/viewarticle/569956

-------------------------------------
Obes Res. 1995 Nov;3 Suppl 4:561S-568S.Links
Topical fat reduction.
Greenway FL, Bray GA, Heber D.

Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Torrance, CA, USA.

The fat on women's thighs is more difficult to mobilize due to increased alpha-2 adrenergic receptor activity induced by estrogen. Lipolysis can be initiated through adipocyte receptor stimulation (beta adrenergic) or inhibition (adenosine or alpha-2 adrenergic) or by inhibition of phosphodiesterase. Since many women desire regional thigh fat loss, a series of clinical trials were initiated using one thigh as a double-blinded control. Trial #1: Five overweight women had injections of isoproterenol at intervals around the thigh three times a week for 4 weeks with diet and walking. Trial #2: Five overweight woman had ointment containing forskolin, yohimbine and aminophylline applied to the thigh five times a week for 4 weeks after hypertonic warm soaks with a diet and walking. Trial #3: Eighteen overweight women were divided into three groups of six and trial #2 was repeated with each agent alone vs. placebo using forskolin, yohimbine or aminophylline in separate ointments. Trial #4: Thirty overweight women had 10% aminophylline ointment applied to the thigh five times a week for 6 weeks with diet and walking. Chemistry panel, theophylline level and patch testing were performed. Trial #5: Twelve women had trial #4 repeated with 2% aminophylline cream without a diet or walking. Trial #6: Trial #5 was repeated with 0.5% aminophylline cream. All trials except yohimbine ointment gave significantly more girth loss from the treated thigh (p < 0.05 to p < 0.001). Chemistry panel showed no toxicity. Theophylline was undetectable and patch testing was negative. We conclude that topical fat reduction for women's thighs can be achieved without diet or exercise.

----------------------------------------------------------
Diabetes Obes Metab. 2007 May;9(3):300-3.
Topical fat reduction from the waist.
Caruso MK, Pekarovic S, Raum WJ, Greenway F.

Louisiana State University Division of Human Ecology, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Topical fat reduction from the thigh in women using aminophylline cream has been demonstrated, but the local fat reduction in other body areas or in men by lowering the local lipolytic threshold has not been demonstrated. This study is designed to test the hypothesis that aminophylline cream application to the waist will reduce waist circumference compared with a control. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Fifty men and women who are 21-65 years of age with a BMI greater than 27 kg/m(2) and a waist to hip ratio > or =average were randomized in a 1 : 1 ratio to 0.5% aminophylline cream to the waist twice a day or no treatment to the waist. All subjects were instructed to follow a 1200 kcal balanced diet, participate in a walking program and return biweekly to encourage compliance. A theophylline level was drawn monthly, and the waist, BMI and waist to hip ratio were remeasured at 12 weeks. RESULTS: At week 12, there was a significant reduction in BMI from baseline that was not different between the groups. The reduction in waist circumference was 11 +/- 1.0 cm in the aminophylline cream group and 5.0 +/- 0.6 cm in the control group (p < 0.001). The reduction in waist circumference was significant for both women and men, but the women lost significantly more waist girth. The waist to hip ratio, a measure of fat distribution, declined. Aminophylline levels were undetectable, and there were no adverse events. DISCUSSION: Aminophylline cream offers a safe and effective method for cosmetic local fat reduction from the waist.
trav859

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Wow Thanks! Reply with quote

!!!!! :O Thank you, dr, but where can we get this?!

I am so frustrated we couldn't get pure powders anywhere :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Other Actives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: