Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

How do you know if Retin-a is working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Retinoids / Vitamin A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: How do you know if Retin-a is working Reply with quote

I have been using retin-a 0.05% cream for 4 days and I have had no burning, stinging or peeling .I normaly have very sensitive skin .How do I know if it is working
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exfoliation is proof it works - either flakes or at least the skin surface has to look 'polished'. Irritation/redness is not necessary for it to work.
Free Radical

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope someone can explain the issue on skin looking "more polished". My skin looks its age due to the pores, but the prevailing wisdom is that you cannot ever reduce the size of these pores. So how exacly can retin A achieve this polished look?
Thanx
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By polished I mean't the epidermis looks smoother with less visible irregularities, like mirror, because the supersmall irregularities are evened out by the retin exfoliation - basically that's how the skin surface looks after microdermabrasion or proper manual exfoliation.

Retinoids do NOT reduce pores and they will look the same, but the skin between the pores does look more polished.
keli13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retin-A and products like it like Renova can take months to see results. Believe me they are working, even if you experience no irritation or flaking skin. I didn't notice any significant results with Retin-A until I had been using ir for about 6 months. I did see some small improvements before that but you really must be patient with Retinoids and stick with them.

Remember, it took your skin years to aquire damage and show lines, discoloration ect. It's not reasonable to expect to reverse that damage in only a few weeks. It takes time for your skin to build collagen which is one of the things Retin-A does.

I feel using Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac etc. are one of the best things you can do for your skin long term. Stick with them. Besides being able to reverse some damage they are one of the best preventative products you can use. It's hard to visually measure what does not happen. Retin-A will really help slow the aging of your skin besides reversing some of the current damage you may have.

If you already have pretty nice skin you may not see all that much of a change but over the years your skin will stay younger looking compared to someone who isn't using retinoids.
keli13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Radical wrote:
Hope someone can explain the issue on skin looking "more polished". My skin looks its age due to the pores, but the prevailing wisdom is that you cannot ever reduce the size of these pores. So how exacly can retin A achieve this polished look?
Thanx

Retin-A and products like it exfoliate and by keeping the pores clean of dead skin cells and debris it helps minimize the look of pores. Retin-A also builds collagen over time which also contributes to smooth, firm looking pores.

Minimized pores are one of the first improvements I saw when I started using Retin-A and Renova. It did take at least 3 months to start to really see these changes with the most visable results seen at month 6 for me.

I've now been using Retin-A or Renova for over 7 years.
Free Radical

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keli, If you have been using tretinoin for 7 years I'd be very interested to know how long your hair grows. Apparently the cellular turnover also means hair follicles get replaced very often, meaning your hair cannot grow properly.

Right now, my mission is to understand why people use tretinoin over the C+E+Ferulic acid combo. Thanx :-)
keli13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Radical, after 7 years of using Renova and Retin-A I've never had an issue with hair growth. I am 44 years old with long dark blonde hair. My hair grows the same as it always has. Renova or Retin-A use has never impacted my hair. In fact I've never even heard about the issue of hair growth and Retin-A until I saw it mentioned on this board. When I started with Retin-A and Renova I started at the .025% strength. I used that for almost my first year then went to .05%. I've been extremely impressed at what Retin-A and Renova (which I prefer) has done for my skin.

Nothing else I've ever used has made as much of a positive difference as Retin-A and/or Renova has for my skin.

Maybe the issue is with oral tretinoin products like Accutane.
Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you were to rub the Tretinoin directly into your scalp, I can't see what possible effect it would have on hair growth... good or bad! As for why people use tretinoin over C+E+Ferulic acid, it's probably because of Tretinoin's long and well-documented track record. (Although, I'm sure there are plenty of people using both.)

Back to the original question... I started seeing a difference in my skin pretty quickly. After only a week or two, I think. It just looked "fresher". Smooth, pink and white, and healthy looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Retinoids / Vitamin A All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: