Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Tendency For Easy Bruising In People As They Age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jandoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Tendency For Easy Bruising In People As They Age Reply with quote

Some people tend to bruise easily as they age. I'm interested in finding how people try to reduce or prevent bruising easily. I'm a strong proponent of a daily natural supplement program, but I'm interested in any other means to combat easy bruising that might be available.

I look forward to our conversations.

Jan
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruising is generally a result of fragile capillaries that break easily. There are agent that reportedly strengthen veins (i.e. those used for venous insufficiency). They might help strengthen capillaries too. For example, grape seed extract.
bevans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking iron supplement can help reduce bruising...
jandoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bevans
Taking iron supplement can help reduce bruising...

Thanks for the comment, but be careful with iron supplements. Too much iron can actually cause a bruise to have a much darker appearance than it otherwise would.
Jan
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron supplements are generally taken for iron deficiency anemia rather than bruising.
jandoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Iron supplements are generally taken for iron deficiency anemia rather than bruising.

Iron deficiency is one symptom common for anemia, but easy bruising may also be a symptom.
Thanks.
Jan
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. But in a person without anemia iron supplements are unlikely to help bruising. And if there is anemia, it should probably be the primary concern. A routine blood test can help sort it out.
jandoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Perhaps. But in a person without anemia iron supplements are unlikely to help bruising. And if there is anemia, it should probably be the primary concern. A routine blood test can help sort it out.

I don't disagree. Easy bruising can be a symptom of more diseases and conditions than I can count, and proper medical advice is the correct response in those situations. Bruising easily that is primarily caused by aging can be addressed through the proper application of diet, exercise, and supplements.
Jan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: