Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Alpha Lipic Acid Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Cell Energy Production Co-Factors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yogagirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Alpha Lipic Acid Question Reply with quote

OK. I'm confused. I thought that Alpha Lipic Acid was both water & oil soluble???? I got some ALA & tried to add it to squalene - no go. Didn't dissolve. So then I tried jojoba oil. Same problem. Just floating around in there. So then I tried plain water. Still no go.
How can you tell if what you buy is really ALA? What if I got "taken"? It is a light yellow crystal-like powder. But doesn't seem to dissolve in anything. I am stuped! Did I buy chalk?
:(
Soooo bummed,
yogagirl
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the thing that doesn't dissolve is just filllers. Did you buy powder your you buy it as a food suplement in capsules?
yogagirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I bought it from a cosmetic supply company. It is supposed to be a pure ALA powder. I'm just worried b/c some other people on this board had problems with ingredients from them. I'm afraid to put it on my face. :(
jands

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted your supplier?

Last edited by jands on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
yogagirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't contact them yet, cause I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I should have gotten it from SkinActives!
Thanks
Allyssa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem. My ALA would clump up when I tried to disolve it (i used R-ALA). I bought the one that was predisolved that Dr.T suggested and it worked great! Allyssa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALA is oil soluble, so maybe try to dissolve it in sun sunflower oil (or simular oil)
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allyssa, where did you get the recommended R-ALA? Are you still using it? Do you feel it worked?
Thanks!
AmyTim

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mix the ALA powder in my serum(have some Glycal) . It's work!
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Alpha Lipic Acid Question Reply with quote

yogagirl wrote:
OK. I'm confused. I thought that Alpha Lipic Acid was both water & oil soluble???? I got some ALA & tried to add it to squalene - no go. Didn't dissolve. So then I tried jojoba oil. Same problem. Just floating around in there. So then I tried plain water. Still no go.
How can you tell if what you buy is really ALA? What if I got "taken"? It is a light yellow crystal-like powder. But doesn't seem to dissolve in anything. I am stuped! Did I buy chalk?
:(
Soooo bummed,
yogagirl

My understanding is that ALA can be both water-soluble and fat-soluble, but that's only true once it's been metabolized in the body when it's taken internally. For the purposes of making your own skin care products however (used externally), ALA is fat-soluble only, so you need oil or cream to dissolve it.
yogagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Alpha Lipic Acid Question Reply with quote

Thanks. I have given up on this a long time ago! LOL! I tried dissolving it in several different types of oil. Still a no-go. I got it from GOW and now they are selling a different kind of ALA. So maybe it was a bad batch? Anyway, I am back in school & don't have time to make my own DIY. So I have been just buying premade products. (I know, I know! I could be saving a lot of money DIY!) But it's true what they say that time is money! LOL!
:D

jamesherried wrote:

My understanding is that ALA can be both water-soluble and fat-soluble, but that's only true once it's been metabolized in the body when it's taken internally. For the purposes of making your own skin care products however (used externally), ALA is fat-soluble only, so you need oil or cream to dissolve it.
AwamaEaCB

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Alpha Lipic Acid Question Reply with quote

ALA acid is both water and fat soluble,therefor it is a very effective antioxident in the body that supports energy production and inhance insulin function and sensitivity.I just started taking 200mg of this tid,has anyone every tried this stuff,I thought that I would see if it helped my gains with the fact that it effects insulin production.Plus Im on cycle right now,so I dont know if it would either help gains or not do anything...
any input guys????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Cell Energy Production Co-Factors All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: