Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Question for Dr.T
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no long-term studies on topical mito-q or CE-Ferulic, so one cannot say with a complete certainly.

There are some studies where retinoids were used in the long-term (here's one, for example: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1390184 ). However, with retinoids, overuse or incorrect use (whether short of long term) may be worse then doing nothing. So, one should be supervised by a dermatologist and be cautious.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
There are no long-term studies on topical mito-q or CE-Ferulic, so one cannot say with a complete certainly.

There are some studies where retinoids were used in the long-term (here's one, for example: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1390184 ). However, with retinoids, overuse or incorrect use (whether short of long term) may be worse then doing nothing. So, one should be supervised by a dermatologist and be cautious.

In what sense could they be worse? My understanding was that at least theoretically retinoids / Tazoratene were very effective in preventing a lot of skin ageing.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you overuse it and have chronic skin irritation, the result can be worse then doing nothing.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
If you overuse it and have chronic skin irritation, the result can be worse then doing nothing.

To clarify: Do you mean overusing it to the point that chronic skin irritation occurs?

I've read about this a lot and am fortunate that I seem to tolerate Retin-a and tazoratene very well. Not matter how much I apply my skin is never irritated or flakey.

HOWEVER, do you mean that topical retinoids and tretinoin creams can be overused in and of themselves, regardless of skin irritation? This would be interesting as I've read long-term use only requires a few days per week use. Others have also stated that it's ideal to simply apply as much as one can tolerate, implying there is no such thing as "too much" when it comes to something like retin-a.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there's not enough conclusive research to say what level of use is optimal - just that one must avoid irritation and/or excessive dryness. If I recall correctly, in some studies, effects of moderate doses were as good as higher doses, with less risk of side effects.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Unfortunately, there's not enough conclusive research to say what level of use is optimal - just that one must avoid irritation and/or excessive dryness. If I recall correctly, in some studies, effects of moderate doses were as good as higher doses, with less risk of side effects.

I appreciate what you're saying, and that certainly aligns with what I've read myself.

Typically my experience would tell me a lot of drugs seem to reach a point of diminishing returns, whereby higher doses don't yield better results. It wouldn't surprise me if the same applied to these topicals.

How much do you believe is a good amount to apply each night? A lot of people are saying a "pea sized" amount is adequate. What do you think? I find I need probably three times that to spread it across my face.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no universal rule as far as I know, but for most people pea sized amount is sufficient (one can even mix it with something like coconut oil to make it easier to spread).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: