Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Vitamin D2 Ergocalciferol in skincare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preciousia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Vitamin D2 Ergocalciferol in skincare Reply with quote

i searched the smartskincare website but did not find anything on Vitamin D2. I am vitamin D deficient and Dr Dennis Gross Vitamin D serum has come to my attention, a plant-based source of vitamin D, , which Dr. Gross argues is already an active form of vitamin D.

Any thoughts of the efficacy?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, as a treatment for vitamin D deficiency, topical vitamin D is generally used only for people who cannot tolerate supplements. Also, as far as I recall, D3 is a more effective form for supplementation. Anyway, check with your doctor and make sure to monitor your vitamin D levels (with vitamin D both deficiency and toxicity are possible).
preciousia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr Todorov. I have vitamin D deficiency and am consuming Vitamin D3 currently. I have read that D3 is more effective for the body to absorb too. Have just done an updated blood test and will find out if there is an improvement from my supplements..

Dr Dennis Gross has vitamin D2 in his Vitamin D serum which is supposedly better for topical absorption. Have noticed some other skin ointment with vitamin D as well.

Do you know if we can DIY our own vitamin D in creams the same way like Vitamin A / E?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are no well documented anti-aging skin benefits of topical vitamin D creams (albeit they are used for certain skin conditions).

So, if you are using vitamin D to treat vitamin D deficiency and can tolerate supplements, I don't see why you need a cream unless you have problems absorbing vitamin D from the GI tract. In that case, you should check via blood tests if supplementation is working first.

Either way, talk to your doctor.

Last edited by drtodorov on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
preciousia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted. Perhaps oral supplication of vit D is sufficient.

Will check with my doctor.
Thank you Dr T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: