Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

hyaluronic serums question for Dr Todorov

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: hyaluronic serums question for Dr Todorov Reply with quote

Dear Dr Todorov

With what you say on your site re small size HA, that it could trigger inflammation etc, is that more raising the possibility rather than saying it is likely to be the case? I found a brand of HA serum with both small and large size HA and it has an amazing plumping effect (the large size only HA serums I have tried did not have this effect) and I would love to continue to use it but was concerned about the issues you raised

Thank you

'But can topical HA go beyond moisturizing? Can it penetrate into the dermis and help rebuild the skin matrix? Generally, large molecules do not penetrate the skin or do so in very small amounts. Most likely, medium-to-large size HA molecules (perhaps with molecular weight above 20,000 Da) won't penetrate sufficiently to have an impact on the skin matrix. However, small size HA (5,000 - 20,000 Da) may penetrate into the dermis in significant amounts. However, this may not necessarily be a good thing. Assuming small size HA molecules penetrate into the dermis, they are likely to trigger some elements of the wound healing response (as we discussed above), such as immune activation, inflammation, cell division, blood vessel growth, new skin matrix synthesis and so forth. The net effect might be either matrix degradation and accelerated skin aging or matrix remodeling and improved skin texture. Studies are required to answer this question.'
Discohouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Todorov,

I have read your prior concerns with low molecular weight hyaluronic acid, but I am wondering whether there is any new emergeing information on it's safety?

Here is one article I found on a low molecular weight form of hyaluronic acid, but not sure what it really means:
personal-care.evonik.com/product/personal-care/Documents/sofw-hyacare-50.pdf

Thank you
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into this lately but the article you pointed to seems to allege that medium sized HA ~50,000 daltons (50 KDa), may still penetrate somewhat but w/o the side effects of the smaller mol. weight HA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: