Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

The Sunscreen enigma - Is it good or BAD ? please help me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Protection / UV damage / Sunscreens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axel13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: The Sunscreen enigma - Is it good or BAD ? please help me Reply with quote

Hello , my name is Alex and I am from Bulgaria.

I have been researching like 1 month about sunscreens after one dermatologist said to me that I should use sunscreen daily if I want to maintain my skin to have a young look.

Question is, are sunscreens good or BAD for our skin ?

So far I've found out that the safest are mineral based Titanium + Zinc and without nano-particles, and that they should not contain :

4-Methylbenzylidene camphor (4-MBC)
Benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone)
3-Benzylidene camphor O
Padimate O
carotens
sodum benzonate
octocrylene, octyl methoxycinnamate (octinoxate), benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone) and benzophenone-4 (sulisobenzone).

Problem is, I found a study from 2006 that was never repeated again and never invested in (probably because big pharmaceutical companies that create sunscreens stepped in) that showed clearly how sunscreens can actualy cause more skin damage !!!!! this shocked me, it is about ROS that was higher in the skin because of some ingredients. Please take your time and read this full article :

nbcnews.com/id/28796417/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/t/does-sunscreen-save-skin-or-damage-it/

Also, these experts stated :

Quote:
ironically enough, failure to reapply frequently seems to compound the damage to skin. “Using sunscreen once in the morning could potentially be worse than not using any at all if you spend a lot of time in the sun,” Hanson says. “Not reapplying every two hours would mean that you would have minimal sun protection, and the sunscreen itself could generate free radicals.” Trouble is, few of us reapply as often as we should (every two hours and after swimming, excessive sweating, and toweling off).

But the researchers found extra ROS are generated only when the UV filters have penetrated into the skin and, at the same time, sunscreen has not been reapplied to prevent ultraviolet radiation from reaching these filters.

So, if this is true, it means that indeeed sunscreen can cause damage if not reapplied for each 2hours, because it has penetrated into the skin and it stays there. But my question is.. How do we know when the absorbed sunscreen is gone from the skin (excreted whatever) :?: Because if that would be true, it would mean that if I have absorbed sunscreen in my skin, this could cause damage even one day when I did not apply anything at all. So how long does it stay absorbed in the skin ?

Excuse my not so well english, but I am very concerned.

I want to know if I should start using all my life a mineral non-nano sunscreen on my face, constantly or that would cause even more damage to my skin ?

What is your opinion ? I am sure you have more knowledge than me on these subject.

Secondary question : what is the guy from this article trying to say ? I dont really understand why he says that sunscreen can create more damage if used even often : thetanningguru.com/tanning-advice-2/which-tanning-advice-should-you-follow/

Quote:
Why driving a truck and following the mainstream tanning advice can give the same photo-damage to your skin

Now you may think that truck-driver Bill did not use any sunscreen and that’s why his face got damaged. However, in practice, the resulting UVA exposure is exactly the same as if he would have followed the commonly accepted mainstream advice about how to tan (except, maybe, for some minor amounts of skin-caring ingredients that might be included in a sunscreen lotion of decent quality).

The tanning-advice from sunscreen manufacturers, dermatologists and health-authorities guarantees that you will only expose your skin to UVA-rays and no UVB. In the morning and late afternoon, the sun is too low in the sky for its shorter UVB-rays to reach the earth. And an SPF-lotion effectively (98% already from SPF 8) filters away any UVB-rays and let through only UVA just like the glass-window of Bill’s delivery-truck.

Therefore, next time you look in the mirror and see some wrinkles on your face, don’t think that you have used too little sunscreen but rather that you have used too much and too often.

Is he writing nonsense and has no scientific knowledge ?

Please give me your opinions

The best regards
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It it just one study but, if confirmed, would be an interesting finding.

Most likely the levels of retinoic acid receptors would bounce back after UVA exposure, for the most part, but it may take hours or even days.
axel13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the sunscreen, what do you think , it could do more harm than good ?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. A well chosen sunscreen is usually on balance better than exposure to a lot of direct sun. On the other hand, one needs to avoid vitamin D deficiency. So, if there is not enough vitamin D in food, some sun exposure is needed for vitamin D status.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Protection / UV damage / Sunscreens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: