Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Superoxide Dismutase Topical

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Superoxide Dismutase Topical Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Todorov - you once mentioned to someone that the molecular weight for this antioxidant didn't penetrate skin. The PDF below seems to say as much (although it says penetration of live cells, which I wasn't sure if it was the same as penetration of the skin. I would have assumed it's simply a different level of penetration) but also says that penetration isn't necessary, because it can combat free readical damage at the level it's at.

Do you think this product would be effective or necessary? I'm interested in the product below.

skinactives.com/pdfs/sod.pdf

niod.com/product/nid-superoxide-dismutase-saccharide-mist-240ml

Thanks!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just the question of penetrating inside the cell, but also penetrating beyond stratum corneum and epidermis into the dermis.

Topical SOD might be mildly useful to protect epidermis, and perhaps very small amounts might get into dermis. But overall, these docs seem to be overstating its benefits. At a minimum, topical SOD has to be used in conjunction with other free radical scavengers that penetrate well.
slide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

- I do use Vitamin C daily as well. Just thought if the Topical SOD product was worth adding for its possibly unique antioxidant properties, then it might also be useful as a toner, i.e. to add moisture before applying products. Thanks.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For intact skin, the chances that topical SOD will do much good are not very high, but it is unlikely to make things worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: