Joined: 08 Oct 2018
|Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:04 am Post subject: DRY SCALP
|Dry Scalp - Symptoms, Causes and Proven Home Remedies
The problem of dry scalp is very common these days. It occurs when the hair root is not sufficiently lubricated by the oil or sebum secreted by sebaceous glands at the base of a hair. The sebum imparts the hair, its characteristic shine and luster. When the sebum is insufficient, the scalp and hair grows dry. Frequent shampooing, usage of blow dryers and curling irons, harsh dyes, perm gels and styling gels, hard water, pollution, poor diet, allergies, sunburns on scalp, dry winter weather can rob the hair of its natural oils. It is usually associated with itching, flakiness, and dandruff.
There is however a misconception that dandruff and dry scalp are synonymous. This is untrue. Dandruff may occur even in oily scalp. Normally our skin sheds of the dead cells. When this phenomenon surpasses the normal rate, the scalp is said to be dry. Dry scalp results in dry hair, which ultimately breaks off due to its brittleness. Thus it ultimately results in hair thinning and hair fall. Using conditioners after shampooing, wearing broad brimmed hat or using an umbrella while going out in the scorching sun, massaging scalp regularly with oil and moisturizing the scalp and hair are ways to fight the problem of dry scalp. Massaging improves blood circulation at the roots, and also stimulates the oil glands.
1. Application of yoghurt after shampooing can solve the problem of dry scalp. It acts as an effective conditioner.
2. A combination of yoghurt and egg white whisked can also treat well the problem of dry scalp.
3. Massaging scalp with slightly heated olive oil, saturating the hair thoroughly with the oil, and washing off next morning with a mild baby shampoo is an effective cure for dry scalp.
4. One may simmer oatmeal in 6 cups of boiling water for about an hour, then strain the water and add rosemary oil to it. Application of this mixture on scalp can be of much help.
5. A mixture of one cup olive oil and 10-12 finely crushed aspirin may be applied on scalp to get rid of dry scalp.
6. Applying a mixture of equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water on scalp, leaving for 15 minutes, and then washing off with shampoo is a helpful treatment for this problem.
7. Coating scalp with aloe Vera gel, leaving it overnight and then washing it off next day with a herbal shampoo can effectively treat scalp dryness.
8. Using lemon juice or vinegar for last rinse while shampooing can unblock sebaceous glands and alleviate dryness from scalp.
9. A combination of milk and honey can deal perfectly with this problem.
10. Massaging scalp with castor oil and lavender oil can also help a lot.
11. A massage tonic made out of one can of macerate watercress, alcohol and one teaspoon geranium is very helpful for treating this problem.
12. Massaging scalp with a mixture of one tablespoon gram flour and coconut milk before applying shampoo is an effective home remedy for dry scalp.