Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Topical Neuropeptides
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Small Peptides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Perricone talking on a NPR subscrib-a-thon about the fact that his neuropeptides were so expensive because it cost approx. $30,000 to synthesize 1 kilo. (I'm just the messenger here). I don't know what is in any of his products, so I guess we'll never know but I do know one thing. I followed the link to the personalformulator.com and their prices are
exceedingly reasonable and we know what's in their product.

How is it that Perricone is exempt from listing the ingredients in his products. Heck, some of my cosmetics list every chemical on earth!
claire63

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This SuperMax multipeptide serum I posted on above compares itself to perricone but much, much less costly. I think perricone is just ripping people off.
MarkeyGoW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehrzn wrote:
There is a website where you can buy a combination of Acetyl Hexapeptide-3 (Argireline) and Palmitoyl-Pentapeptide 3 (Matrixyl) at a very reasonable price and mix your cream yourself :

http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=45_49&products_id=1162

All other sites and products i know that contain these too ingredients are astronomically overpriced.

And please stop with that Dr. Pericone. The guy just wants to make some dough out of gullable people ...

Orange,

Not all other sites are over priced. :-P At least once you
brought this to their attention...

Markey
pinkconga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check gardenofwisdom.com
Great prices and service.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we shouldn't even be wasting our time or money yet on some peptides, especially acetyl hexapeptide-3. Read this:

acetyl hexapeptide-3. Is a synthetically derived peptide that has been showing up in dozens of skin care and makeup products, especially those claiming to have a muscle-relaxing effect similar to Botox injections. Claims typically have to do with preventing muscle contractions when making facial expressions, thus reducing the appearance of expression lines. The company selling acetyl hexapeptide-3 (trade name Argireline), Centerchem (www.centerchem.com), is based in Spain. According to their Web site, "Argireline works through a unique mechanism which relaxes facial tension leading to a reduction in superficial facial lines and wrinkles with regular use. Argireline has been shown to moderate excessive catecholamines release." I strongly doubt that any of that is true because there isn't a shred of published research substantiating any part of it. However, even if it were vaguely true, that would not be good news for your body because you wouldn't want a cosmetic ingredient without any safety data, efficacy documentation, or independent research messing around with your catecholamines. Catecholamines are compounds in the body that serve as neurotransmitters such as epinephrine, adrenaline, and dopamine. Epinephrine is a substance that prepares the body to handle emergencies such as cold, fatigue, and shock. A deficiency of dopamine in the brain is responsible for the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. None of that sounds like something you want a cosmetic to inhibit or reduce.

We don’t know the long-term adverse effects of applying acetyl hexapeptide-3 to skin. If it really worked to relax facial muscles, it would work all over the face (assuming you’re using the products as directed). If all the muscles in your face were relaxed from topical application of acetyl hexapeptide-3, you’d have sagging, not youthful, skin. To date, there have been no further substantiated, peer-reviewed studies proving acetyl hexapeptide-3 is a viable alternative to or replacement for Botox injections. For all the fear espoused by companies featuring this peptide in their “works like Botox” products, there is considerably more efficacy, usage, and safety documentation available for Botox.

Despite claims being made for acetyl hexapeptide-3 (argireline), there is a clinical study revealing that this ingredient is not even remotely as effective as Botox in reducing wrinkles (Source: www.cremedevie.com/clinical_details.htm; International Journal of Cosmetic Science, October 2002). It is also interesting to note, that even Botox when applied topically on skin has no impact on the skin or muscles in any way shape or form! (Source: Cosmetic Dermatology, July 2005, pages 521-524.) See peptide.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should be more careful about spending our money on some peptides. Read what they say about peptides on www.skinbiology.com. And read this article below about peptides. It states that for peptides to be effective, 3 criteria must be met. And we have no way of knowing if the peptides currently on the market satisfy those 3 criteria, including Dr. Perricone's $570 product. And even if they were effective, according to skinbiology.com, the tissue that some peptides produce and regenerate is more like scar tissue than normal tissue. There may be some truth to this, because when you cut your skin, certain peptides are partly responsible for the healing process. When a cut on the skin occurs, peptides send a message to the fibroblasts to produce more collagen and tissue. But look at the tissue you get: scar tissue. Do you want to look like Scarface? I admit that may be stretching it a bit, but it's something to keep in mind, especially before you spend a lot of money on these products.

peptide. Proteins are comprised of a long chain of amino acids, and individual portions of proteins are known as peptides. In the body, peptides regulate the activity of many systems. This regulation is achieved by interaction of the peptide with a target cell. Enzymatic activity breaks proteins into peptides so they can exert their influence on the body. Some peptides have hormonal activity, others demonstrate immune activity, some are cell-communicating ingredients telling cells how to react and what to do, some are believed to play a role in wound healing, and still others are thought to influence the pathology of skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis and eczema.

Whether peptides can have benefit when applied topically to skin for wound healing, skin barrier repair, or as disinfectants is difficult to ascertain, as they generally cannot penetrate skin and remain stable because they are considered too hydrophilic, or water-loving. Ironically, peptides can become unstable in water-based formulas (Source: Biotechniques, July 2002, pages 190–192; and IFSCC Magazine, July 2004, page 153). Further, because peptides are vulnerable to the presence of enzymes, when peptides are absorbed, the abundant enzymes present in skin can break the peptides down to the point where they have no effect. However, the latest research is examining how different types of synthesized peptides can enter the living membrane of cells and, more interesting, transport biologically active ingredients to these cells. Some of these peptides have demonstrated a remarkable anti-inflammatory effect. Creating specific peptide chains in the lab and then attaching a fatty acid component to them allows peptides to overcome their inherent limitations: absorbing and staying stable. Lab-engineered peptides appear to have the kind of efficacy and benefit that goes beyond the skin’s surface, but more conclusive, long-term research is essential to understanding what, if anything, is really taking place (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, June 2004, page 30; Pharmaceutical Research, March 2004, pages 389-393; and The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, September 2005, pages 473-481). It is reasonable to assume that as synthetic peptide technology broadens, we will see more options for use in skin-care products promoting anti-aging properties, specifically, tissue regeneration (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, March 2003, pages 43-52).

In order for these specialized peptides to exert a benefit beyond that of a water-binding agent, three criteria must be met: the peptides must be stable in their base formula, they must be paired with a carrier that enhances absorption into the skin, and they must be able to reach their target cell groups without breaking down. Achieving this goal is no easy feat, but one that cosmetic scientists are predicting will have significant potential in the realm of anti-aging skin-care ingredients.
skincarefreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I've used matrixyl 3000, matrixyl, and copper peptides. Four years ago, I splurged on Stri-Vectin, because of my bad keloid scars. After almost two years of use, the peptides in that product flattened those scars that I had found so disfiguring. I've had further success the the copper peptides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Small Peptides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: