Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

DMAE CREAM -- MAKE OR BUY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiny07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: DMAE CREAM -- MAKE OR BUY? Reply with quote

Dr. T or Senior Members,

After I ordered the Anti-Aging Skin Care Info Pack, I shopped the net for the ingredients to make my own face cream. Then I found Reviva Lab's DMAE creams. Am I better off making my own, or buying a jar from Reviva? Do the Reviva Lab products contain enough actives?

Thanks for helping.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMAE itself is rather stable, it has a long shelf-life and does not need to be made fresh shortly before use. So, if a product has sufficient concentration of DMAE and good price, that's an acceptable alternative to DIY.
PattiK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but if you decide to buy a DMAE cream you need to investigate the true concentration of DMAE. Most manufacturers use DMAE bitartrate whith is a combination of DMAE and the bitartrate salt. You need to be sure the concentration is for DMAE and NOT DMAE bitartrate - 3% DMAE is way different than 3% DMAE bitartrate.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try a commercial DMAE product, you could look at Chrysader at www.chrysaderm.com.

They list "DMAE Comlex" as the second ingredient after Purified Water, but I don't know what the "Complex" means, or what the concentration is. If anybody can find out what the concetration is and what "Complex" means in the term "DMAE Complex", please let me know!

Mike
newskinoasis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a pH.D. in Cosmetic Chemistry, I wouldn't recommend mixing your own DMAE preparation. Many vitamins (Vitamin C and Vitamin D), minerals, and enzymes must be in a very exact form to be absorbed into the skin. Buy products that are not sold in drug stores, super markets, and department stores if you want professional-strength, pharmaceutical-grade. You'll find those only in physicians' offices, estheticians' salons, and medi-spas.

Brenda Pitts, Esthetician
newskinoasis.com
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is in finding a reputable manufacturer that will tell me what I need to know, such as how much of each ingredient is in their products, what have they done to assure stability, what have they done to assure quality control issues such as variability between bottles and batches, purity, contaminants, etc. At least when you make your own using Dr T's "recipes", you can have some assurance that you are getting what you think you are paying for!
newskinoasis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm not familiar with Dr. T's product or of the science behind it. It may well be an excellent formulation. Because it's impossible to know the integrity of every skin-care product on the market, even as a professional skin-care technician, I recommend and use only those products backed by substantial research and clinical trials; also, those that are professional-strength, pharmaceutical grade.

newskinoasis.com
DRSH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: DMAE CREAM -- MAKE OR BUY? Reply with quote

Tiny07 wrote:

After I ordered the Anti-Aging Skin Care Info Pack, I shopped the net for the ingredients to make my own face cream. Then I found Reviva Lab's DMAE creams. Am I better off making my own, or buying a jar from Reviva? Do the Reviva Lab products contain enough actives?

What sources for ingredients did you find, what websites? How did the price compare with doing it yourself vs. a purchased product?
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newskinoasis wrote:
Unless you have a pH.D. in Cosmetic Chemistry, I wouldn't recommend mixing your own DMAE preparation. Many vitamins (Vitamin C and Vitamin D), minerals, and enzymes must be in a very exact form to be absorbed into the skin. Buy products that are not sold in drug stores, super markets, and department stores if you want professional-strength, pharmaceutical-grade. You'll find those only in physicians' offices, estheticians' salons, and medi-spas.

newskinoasis.com

You don't need a Ph.D in anything to make your own DMAE preparation, and the same applies to a lot of skin care preparations. In regards to knowledge, a book or manual(with instructions) written by someone who knows what they're talking about is really all you need. DMAE is actually very easy to use in a DIY formulation, and the same applies to L-ascorbic acid. You don't need to spend a ton of money say on Skinceuticals C E Ferulic Acid Serum , because you can easily make your own a lot cheaper. Of course, if you've got money to throw away like Britney Spears or Madonna, then you might opt to just buy a ready made product, but even then you don't get as "fresh" a product as a DIY one, and some of the ready made products begin to degrade as soon as you open them. Do Britney and Madonna even know this yet? For example, the Vitamin C serums by Skinceuticals (or Cellex C, etc) will oxidize and turn brown within one to two weeks after opening, and then you should throw it out, even though it's supposed to be a one month supply. So you end up paying $75-$85 for a 1-2 week supply! Better(and MUCH cheaper) to make your own Vitamin C serum and store it in the fridge for a few days, then throw it after say 4-5 days and make a new batch. And you can use ferulic acid (also known as cinnamic acid...it comes from cinnamon oil) in a DIY formula. You can't easily take the DIY approach with all products though, such as copper peptides, but with DMAE and Vitamin C it's easy. Another advantage of the DIY approach is that you can make your own customized formulations, depending on what you want in a skin product. For example, I have not yet found a Vitamin C serum that contains grape seed extract or pine bark extract, as well as Vitamin E, so I had to make my own. Also, I have found only one skin care product that contained the entire Vitamin E complex(all 4 tocopherols and all 4 tocotrienols), it was not easy to find, and it was not cheap. Most skin care products use the wrong form of Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate), which would be a waste of your money, and then they charge you a fortune for it (like Dr. Perricone's Vit E product that costs $125 for half an ounce). And Vitamin E, like Vit C and DMAE is easy to use in a DIY formulation. You can get Isomer E (which contains all 8 components of the Vitamin E complex) at GNC. The skin care companies, of course, won't like the DIY approach, but it often gives you better quality for much less money.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newskinoasis wrote:
Mike,

I'm not familiar with Dr. T's product or of the science behind it. It may well be an excellent formulation. Because it's impossible to know the integrity of every skin-care product on the market, even as a professional skin-care technician, I recommend and use only those products backed by substantial research and clinical trials; also, those that are professional-strength, pharmaceutical grade.

newskinoasis.com

I have both Dr. Todorov's DIY instruction manual as well as another book by Carol Demas called "How to Make Your Own Effective Cosmetics". I find both of those to be invaluable if you want better quality skin products, customized skin products(made specifically for your own needs and desires) and if you want to save a lot ot money. This will pose a threat to the skin care companies, but maybe they should lower their outrageously high prices. And as more people catch on to the DIY approach, maybe they will have to lower their prices to stay in business. Even if they do, you can often still get better quality with the DIY approach. Why, for example, would you want to pay $125 for Dr. Perricone's Vitamin E lotion when he uses the "wrong" form of Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) when you can make your own Vitamin E product using the "right" form of Vitamin E(all 4 tocopherols and all 4 tocotrienols) at a fraction of the cost?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed some actives, such as copper peptides, which are too difficult and/or risky to DIY correctly. Formulas with those should always be purhased from manufacturers unless you are a qualified chemist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: