Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Mixing Grape Seed and Aloe Vera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Mixing Grape Seed and Aloe Vera Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Todorov, I wanted to make a topical using niacinamide, grape seed extract and Aubrey's aloe vera gel (which btw is more like a liquid than gel).

The niacinamide dissolved very well into the aloe vera gel, but when I added the grape seed the solution turned a translucent milky light purple with purple curdley flakey bits in it.

Why could this have happened? Do you think it would still be okay to use like this or would it made it potentially harmful? :(
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grape seed extract (as any plant extract) is a complex mix of chemicals, and it also varies from brand to brand. So, it is hard to say what exactly happened. I do not recommend DIY skin care experimentation unless you are an expert. You should stick to the standard formulas. To be on the safe side, you should discard your 'experiment'.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has used aloe vera gel to make her own skin products and she says that based upon her experience, only water soluble ingredients(like niacinamide and L-ascorbic acid) will dissolve in aloe vera.
And according to Carol Demas in her book " How to Make Your Own Effective Cosmetics", grape seed extract is not totally soluble in water. She says you need "propylene glycol" to totally dissolve grape seed extract, and that may be why the grape seed extract didn't dissolve in the aloe vera gel. On bulkactives they claim that you need "ethanol" or "propylene glycol" to dissolve grape seed extract. But they list "pine bark extract" as a water-soluble alternative to grape seed extract, so you might try that instead of the grape seed extract when using it in the aloe vera gel. Even better would be to use Pycnogenol(a patented product made from French maritime pine bark extract), which is one of the few supplements that has gone through a lot of rigorous scientific studies (at least 36 double-blind studies, although not pertaining to topical use on the skin), and has come out to be successful in those studies. The thing there is that most Pycnogenol supplements contain magnesium stearate which may not be soluble in the aloe vera gel, so if there are tiny particles left in the gel that don't dissolve, it's probably the magnesium stearate. But I don't think that's a problem as long as the Pycnogenol dissolves. You could get pine bark extract from bulkactives and would have nothing else mixed in, but I dont' know if it's as good as Pycnogenol. I don't think that pine bark extract has undergone the rigorous scientific testing that Pycnogenol has. Remember that Pycnogenol is from a certain type of pine that grows off the shores of France, but when a product is just listed as "pine bark extract" ,there's no way of knowing what pine it comes from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: