Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Home Recipes For Skin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberlee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Home Recipes For Skin Reply with quote

With all the inactive ingredients in store bought skincare products would it not make more sense to use natural and homemade products whenever possible? (i.e. - gentle fruit peel)
kimberlee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to get myself into trouble so soon after joining the forum.....

I didn't want to discuss any formulations for home use, I was just wondering if it is better for your skin to use only natural ingredients (if you could get the same results)
melanie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

Hi Kimberlee , I thought the same thing. It is much better to make your own base cream without all these unwanted chemical & preservative. Then the 2nd problem is if you get a reaction or dermatitis you dont know if it is the base cream ( vehicle ) or the active ingredients ?
they say that the active ingredients penetrate the skin.... if so what about the rest of the harmful chemical & preservative !! It seems contradictory to me .
So I am with you on this one.
cjdavis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Recipes For Skin Reply with quote

kimberlee wrote:
With all the inactive ingredients in store bought skincare products would it not make more sense to use natural and homemade products whenever possible? (i.e. - gentle fruit peel)

Really, whether the chemicals are natural or synthetic is usually a moot point. The chemicals are the same and often your body cannot tell the difference. There are a few exceptions though, i.e. natural vitamin E is in the R form, the synthetic form is sold as a recemic mixture i.e. D,L. This really means that some chemicals are sterospecific in their physiological action rather than the synthetic nature of the chemical (in other words synthetic D tocopherols would work the same as natural D tocopherols). Additionally, I just posted on another forum here that most commercial products do have the advantage of having some proprietary clinical and chemical studies that cannot be duplicated with DIY brews. These studies are often designed NOT to establish efficacy but to insure that their formulation is chemically stable (i.e. that it does not cross react with the other ingredients and that it has a reasonable shelf life) and able to reach the desired layers of the skin (dermal absorption, ect). These types of studies can not be done at home by the lay person. However, with DIY products you can insure accurate (and known) ingredient amounts which often can not be insured with commercial products. Most companies do not list the amounts of the ingredients used (I have complained about this several times before) and when you DIY you can guarantee exact amounts. My feeling is, so long as the formulation is kept only to a few ingredients and is used within a week or two, that DIY is far superior to most retail preparations.
Melanie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

Chris, it seems you are not getting the message ! We do not want a base cream with preservative ! + 10-15 ingredients in it. If you look at the base cream Curel as an example it contains at least 3 if not more of the most pores clogging ingredients !
why use a cream with 10 + ingredients when you can have a DIY base cream with few ingredients without preservative !
Shari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: home receipe for skin Reply with quote

If you are interested and able to make your own base cream then by all means do so. There are a few forums and websites that give specific instructions for creating a variety of mostly natural creams/lotions.

Being a subscriber to these websites, I can tell you that they recommend strongly that you add some sort of preservative to your base/lotion. This is because lotions include water as key ingredient. I am not a chemist but water breeds or attracts germs etc and as such you need to have something to stop bacterial growth. I suppose you could make your own concotion and refridgerate it for a week and then constantly create batches week after week in order to avoid preservatives.

There are non comodegenic products out there for the face, oil of olay being just one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: