Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

petrolatum/mineral oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: petrolatum/mineral oil Reply with quote

Dr Todorov . the websites www.zerozits.com/article that Dee posted for comedogenicity was an eye-opener for me ! for example mineral oil & petrolatum is 0 on the scale ! this was the most surprising to me . I thought these were the worst. well they are not ! ingredients like ispropyl palmitate & isopropyl.... 4
So I look at my Curel lotion .... there is a lot of comedogenic ingredients ! I was very surprise .
for example : the consistency of the cleanser Arbolene ( petrolatum ) is very greasy.... so I dont understand what makes an ingredients comedogenic? I always thought the more greasy ... the more comedogenic ! can you explain
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scale is not very useful in real life - it is based on high concentrations tested on animal skin (inside skin of rabbit ears if I recall).

Human facial skin is somewhat different. Besides, the same ingredient may have different comedogenicity in different people as well as at different concentrations.

In reality, from what I've seen, petrolatum based product are often comedogenic, while Curel is not. But for true evidence a human study of specific products needs to be done. It's a simple study as long as someone finds a way to fund it.
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Curel Reply with quote

thank you for your explanation. I will look at the concentration of the ingredients . for petrolatum I will look if it is listed first , 2nd or 3rd .... for the concentration .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: