Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

skin type question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: skin type question Reply with quote

I'm trying to define my skin type, could use help. I've always had acne, pimple and whiteheads. I use Oxy 10% benzoyl peroxide acne wash every day. This reduces the acne a lot but still get lots of pimples. The tricky thing my skin usually seems dry. It only seems to be oily after a busy day at work every once in while. I'm a server at a restaurant. Does having acne mean oily skin? Also my skin is sensitive. It gets irritation from ascorbic acid and argiriline. But the ascorbic acid helps with the acne. Thanks in advance for any ideas of my skin type.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To evaluate your skin, you have to stop all products for a few days and THEN see if its oily.

My skin is 'dry' after a face wash but at the end of the day it gets oily. It also depends on what you eat that day. I can certainly see the oil on my face a few hours after I eat something greasy.
vanyel5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having acne is not exclusive to oily skin, also if your skin feels dry i would not be surprised with using benzoyl peroxide and an acne wash every day! benzoyl peroxide is a very drying, somewhat harsh, albeit occasionally necessary, product...perhaps for treating your acne try a salicylic acid/bha type product and a gentler wash like cetaphil for oily skin!
ascorbic acid generally has an "irritating" factor as it is an acidic pH and that can feel stinging to the skin but should generally go away after a bit or you should get used to it...but like i said..the benzoyl peroxide will increase your sensitivity to just about everything!
as far as oily skin after a busy day at work...my face gets sweaty and oily after a good workout too! that is just the way your body functions...so you can't judge by just those moments...try washing your face with something gentle or even just water and wait maybe half an hour and see how it feels...though, like i keep repeating, with benzoyl peroxide, if you are spreading all over instead of just the affected areas you are going to experience dryness
bettedaviseyes66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lalamb,

I can definitely tell you that if your using ben. perox. every day and your skin still gets dry, you've probably got sensitive skin and need to use the Oxy treatment more sparingly, maybe every two days or so. Of course, do talk to your derm. and figure out the kind of regimen suited for you. As the person above said, if your skin is sensitive, any one factor may be triggering breakouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: