Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Putting retinyl acetate/L-ascorbic acid in Cerave/OlayQuench

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillyish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Putting retinyl acetate/L-ascorbic acid in Cerave/OlayQuench Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've decided I need to get serious about skin care and anti-aging recently, and I have a couple questions about semi-DIY retinyl acetate and l-ascorbic acid.

There are three products I'm going to try using on my skin (on my body): Olay Quench Daily Lotion, Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen SPF 30, and Cerave Moisturizing Lotion. (I'll include the ingredients lists below.)

I'd like to use either the Olay Quench or the CeraVe after showering in the morning, and the other at night. I want to add retinol acetate to the night-time one and l-ascorbic acid to the morning one.

Would either of those creams work with those actives? I could also add the l-ascorbic acid to the sunscreen, if that would work.

Or if not CeraVe, is there another basic moisturizer that would work for sensitive, acne-prone skin?

(If the l-ascorbic acid turns out to be too much for my skin to handle, I was thinking I'd try magnesium ascorbyl phosphate instead. Would that work in one of those creams?)

Thank you very much!

More information, if needed/wanted:

I'm 29, female, very few signs of aging, oily skin on my face and normal skin on my body, both acne-prone. I also have sensitive skin - I get irritation somewhat easily, have eczema, and also have urticaria pigmentosa (basically, when my skin is really irritated or damaged or in response to certain environmental triggers, it develops hives that turn into pigmented spots).

Ingredients:

Olay Quench Daily Lotion

Water, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Isostearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Glycine, Alanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Arginine, Lysine, Glutamic Acid, Dimethicone, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyethylene, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Stearic Acid, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium PCA, Betaine, Sorbitol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

Purified Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Polyglyceryl-3-Diisosterate , Dimethicone, Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramide 1, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-Ii, Cholesterol, Phytosphingosine, Potassium Phosphate , Dipotassium Phosphate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen SPF 30

Active: Avobenzone (2%), Homosalate (13%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2%), Oxybenzone (4%), Other: Water, Sorbitol, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, Sorbitan Isostearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Carbomer, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA
lillyish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I read that there's a negative reaction between l-ascorbic acid and niacinamide, which is high on the ingredients list for Olay Quench. (Source: futurederm.com/2012/10/25/should-niacinamide-and-l-ascorbic-acid-be-used-together/).

So that means I need to put the retinyl acetate in the Olay Quench for a night cream and l-ascorbic acid in CeraVe or a similar moisturizer for the morning. Would those work?

Thanks again.
BeautyQueenof18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason you don't use a physical sunscreen instead? My understand is that it provides a much higher level of protection.

Also bumping this as I'm interested to if it's possible.
lillyish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The physical sunscreen issue: one, I can't seem to find a highly-rated one for normal-oily skin (that doesn't leave it sticky/greasy - hate that) that is low-cost enough that I could use it all over my body every day, and two, because I read on this forum that l-ascetic acid can destabilize zinc oxide.

I also read that the low pH of l-ascorbic acid can mess with chemical sunscreens too, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive about that so I figured I could take the chance if I allow 30 minutes between a vitamin c cream and the sunscreen. And possibly test the pH of my skin.

Which is unfortunate, because I know a physical sunscreen would be better for sensitive skin and that there are possible issues with chemical sunscreens degrading (or something like that) when exposed to sunlight.

So if you have any recommendations or information, I'd really appreciate it. (For reference, I'm finding the Coppertone sunscreen for $1.20-ish an ounce, so that's the price range/price to beat.)
lillyish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been doing more research and I think I should go with a physical sunscreen. Hopefully allowing half an hour between vitamin c and the sunscreen will be okay.

I'm also considering using retinol instead of retinyl acetate. Does anyone know if that would work in Olay Quench?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: