Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Drtodorov - how to make fat cells regenerate/multiply?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiffy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Drtodorov - how to make fat cells regenerate/multiply? Reply with quote

Drtodorov, I read a post of yours from November, indicating fat cells can regenerate/multiply with certain external factors. Can you please tell me what can be applied topically, or anything else, that can be done to create more fat cells? The reason I am asking is that a dermatologist years ago told me to apply a strong steroid cream to my skin, and it either thinned out the fat layer or skin by an extreme amount, leaving me with a gaunt look. I want to create more fat cells, specifically in the cheek area, to plump them out again.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any topical or treatment availalbe that you can use to make fat cells multiply locally. Topical growth factors, even if they worked, are too large to get into subcutaneous tissue.

Look into autologous fat injections.
marsto911

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: fat regeneration Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not familiar with any way to grow fat cells.

There is a new product called Sculptra which is an injectable. It causes the body to stimulate collagen growth, which acts as a filler.

The Sculptra is currently for people with HIV wasting syndrome. I have been told it is being used for "off label" for regular people.

Good luck.

M
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind Sculptra (scaffold based on poly-L-lactic acid) is quite clever although it is too early to evaluate long-tern effectiveness.

If one were to inject sculptra and, perhaps follow up with periodic injections of growth factors, results may be interesting. The question is whether such filler can emulate lost subcutenous fat as opposed to simply filling up a wrinkle. Preliminary data indicate that it might...

-------------------------------------

Biomaterials. 2004 May;25(11):2065-73.

Nano-fibrous poly(L-lactic acid) scaffolds with interconnected spherical macropores.

Chen VJ, Ma PX.

Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1011 North University Ave Room 2211, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078, USA.

Biodegradable polymers have been used extensively as scaffolding materials to regenerate new tissues. These scaffolds should possess certain physical characteristics including a three-dimensional structure, high porosity with an interconnected pore structure, and a suitable surface structure for cell attachment, proliferation, and differentiation. To mimic the fibrous architecture of type I collagen, nano-fibrous matrices have been created in our laboratory using a phase-separation technique of poly(L-lactic acid) (PLLA) solutions. In addition, biodegradable scaffolds with controlled interconnected spherical pore networks have been fabricated in our laboratory. In this work, these two techniques were combined to yield scaffolds with highly interconnected spherical macroporous structures and nano-fibrous architectures. Paraffin spheres were first fabricated with a dispersion method, and were thermally bonded to form an interconnected mold. PLLA solutions were cast over the paraffin sphere assembly and were thermally phase-separated to form nano-fibrous matrices. After leaching out the paraffin, synthetic nano-fibrous extracellular matrices with interconnected spherical pores were yielded. By utilizing this fabrication process, we are able to control the architecture of the scaffolds at several different levels, including the macroscopic shape of the scaffold, the spherical pore size, interfiber distance, and the fiber diameter at the nano-size scale. The inter-pore connectivity could be controlled by varying the heat treatment time of the paraffin spheres, and mechanical properties could be controlled by varying the porosity of the scaffolds. With an interconnected macroporous structure that promotes cell seeding throughout the interstices of the scaffold, and a synthetic collagen-like matrix, these novel matrices may be an excellent scaffold for tissue engineering.
claire63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that fat grafts are quite successful as fillers and most of the time about 50% of the fat is permanent (as opposed to fillers that have to be reinjected every few months). I read an excellent article on a patient Pat Wexler -NYC Dr. - had done. Before and afters looked terrific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: