Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

preservatives. parabens vs ethanol
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinamometro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: preservatives. parabens vs ethanol Reply with quote

This goes about preservatives of the type of paraben (methylparaben,...).
Are they bad for skin? I guess they have risk of allergic reactions and can irritate skin which is not desirable. But to avoid them is actually difficult. I know only of a skin-care line that avoids them (and it's quite expensive). Also, they need to preserve the ingredients in the creams , so they use ethanol and fatty alcohols.
What should be preferred? ethanol or parabens?.
Thanks a lot for your valuable answers. It's nice to hear scientific explanetions to these daily live questions :)
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, parabens, especially methyl paraben, may produce a low level skin damage as they break down and release methanol. In practice, since the rate of break down is very low and the content of parabens in products is also low, the damage, if any, is probably negligible, except in very sensitive individuals. Among preservatives, parabens are some of the most benign. In fact, the ethanol in concentration required for similar level of preservation will be much harsher on the skin. Not using preservatives at all leads to spoilage which can create toxins of its own. The bottom line is that if you have to use a manufactured product (i.e. the one requiring preservatives), parabens are arguably the lesser evel. Of course, there's also a DIY alternative, where you make a fresh batch often, store it in a refrigerator without preservatives, and discard it before it can spoil.
base cream wo parabens?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the answer.
I'm now in the fun of DIY cosmetics, but anyway I need to buy a base cream that should have some preservatives I guess. Are there in the market any base creams without parabens?.
Thanks for the info!!!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are but they are likely to contain other preservatives, harsher than parabens. If I recall, classic Eucerin may have none, but it's a bit too heavy for normal skin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!! I'll check for that Eucerin and see how it works.
dia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

hello.. you can make your own base-cream with very skin-friendly ingredients. take 20 gr. shea-butter, 55 ml. jojoba-oil and 25 gr.tegamuls.
Let this melt ( au bain marie) and you have the fat-component. With this you can make fresh cream one hole year. (store in fridge)
For the cream: take 10 gr from the fat-component, 30 ml. hydrolaat (rosewater with no alcohol or boiled water ) Heat these both till 70 C fahrenheit . Then carefully drop the water into the fat, stir well untill the temp is 30C. Then I use heliozimt as a preserve. This is also used in food as a preserve. Then you can put v.i. the vitamine e or Q 10 in the cream.With 6 drops of heliozimt you can keep the cream for 3 months.This way I made the coenzyme Q 10 cream and i'm more then satisfied..I do not know if you can buy the tegamuls and the heliozimt under the same name. I'm living in the Netherlands.
Marlene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

I would like to make this base cream with shea butter & oil ... can you give the US measurement & US ingredients for preservative .
Marlene

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

I would like to make this base cream with shea butter & oil ... can you give the US measurement & US ingredients for preservative .
Esta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: cream Reply with quote

Dr Todorov what do you think of this base cream ?
Micheline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

Hello Dia , thank you for the recipe I have been looking for a home made base cream for a long time ! Can the fat- component be mixed with boiled water ?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are English equivalants for heliozimt and tegomuls?
Micheline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: preservative Reply with quote

I try to search tegomuls & heliozint on Google....... was not able to find english translation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

I am very interested also ! Please post the US measurement & review of the base cream .
dia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: base-cream Reply with quote

Hello, I hope I can help you all...I've been looking on German sites because there is more information about making cosmetic and their ingredients. Unfortunately I can not find out the english name's for the products but I try to translate what it is. The heliozimt is an preserve. It is made of kaneelalcohol (cinnamon-alcohol) and heliotropine (piperonal)
It may give irritation by people who react allergic on parfum. I hope that dr. Todorov knows the englisch name.But you have only to use 6 drops om 40 ml. cream. The heliozimt I buy here is comming in a little bottle (10 ml.) because you can keep it for 6 months, then you must throw it away.Then the Tegamuls.. the only thing I can tell you it is from animal orgin. It is an emulsifier and makes the water mix with the oil and shea-butter.Then the weights and measures someone asked.1 Oz. is 30 ml. here. You can mix the fat-base with boiled water. Both must have a temperarure from 70 celcius is 159 Fahrenheit. Stir al the time until the temp. is 30 celcius is 83 fahrenheit. Yesterday I was mixed up with the temp.When the cream is 83 fahrenheit you put in the preserve (6 drops with a pipet) and the working ingredients you want. I always put a litlle drop of rose-oil in it for the smell. I hope you understand it all.Hope that dr. Todorov knows what the names are from tegamuls and heliozimt. If I made any grammatical mistakes.. :oops:
Kind regards from Holland.
dia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: tegomuls Reply with quote

hello again....

I've found the chemical name for Tegomuls. It is
glycerolmonostearat. Hope that dr. Todorov then knows how it is called in America.

:-) Dia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: