Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

DMAE why doesn't it work for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Firming / Tightening Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvgal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: DMAE why doesn't it work for me? Reply with quote

Hello To Everyone,
Ive read all the hoopla about DMAE's instant firming and tightening of skin.
I bought some 100% pure and added it to water, as directed.
I do not see any firming or tightenig after using 2-4 times a day, for 2 weeks now.
What's up? Any ideas?
Thanks, wvgal
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be many reasons, including concentration, individual variability, penetration and so forth. But besides all that, the effects of DMAE are often relatively modest, and in some cases not even noticeable.
wvgal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you doc. My package says dimethylaminoethanol bitartrate 100%. Usage Rate: .05 to .8 percent by volume. Is this a correct strength?
I added about 1 Teaspoon to 1/2 cup of water. What about individual varibility? What else can I try for sagging and wrinkled facial skin? Thanks
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calculations and other relavant details are in DIY infopack.
jamesherried

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Perricone claims that it may take several months before you see any noticeable effects from topical application of DMAE. Just quoting him from one of his books.
skin care addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Dmae Reply with quote

There are several forms of DMAE. I also tried the bitarate(sp)form with no results and then discovered that the forms with DMAE in the amine form work very well. Kripps Pharmacy carries several varities,DY also,you might want to do a google search. I beleive a study was done by Johnson and Johnson. I found it to work well uner my eyes and then I used under my chin.I like the results,but,we are all different.
God bless
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the chemical name of the form of DMAE they sell as well as pH of their formula? DMAE as amine would be highly alkaline, almost as alkaline as ammonia, and likely to produce skin irritation, especially under the eyes.
skin care addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Kripps label Reply with quote

Dear Dr T,
I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely manner.
Let me give you the ingredients as listed on Kripps Pharmacy(Canada)
DMAE Silk- dmae 5.5%,R+Alpha lipoic acid5.5%,hyaluronic acid,water(Teau),lactic acid,parfum
I am sorry I do not know the technical name. It is very thick and has an unpleasant odor.
Thank you
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to say for sure what they do based on this. Either they use DMAE salt as original ingredient and simply call it DMAE (omitting the counterion), or lactic acid and lipoic acid they add are used as primary couterions and thus balance out alkalinity of DMAE. The latter seems more likely. Regardless, buffered DMAE is a solution that is more or less pH neutral, where DMAE will be ionized to a significant degree, in which case the nature of its couterion, be it lactate of bitartrate, may not matter that much as far as absorption goes.
guapagirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I emailed Kripps and they said they used the amine version in their silk. The stinky smell would I think bear this out. Also the original formula was very alkaline pH 9-10 (though I only had universal litmus strips begged from school, so maybe not an accurate reading).

I added glycolic acid to reduce the pH and the product still seemed to work well. They re-formulated the silk to give a more neutral pH and that seems to work pretty good, though I prefered the original formula in terms of texture etc.

Before I lowered the pH of the original formulation, I didn't experience any skin irritation at all either.

I'm just in the middle of comparing the new Silk formula with IN dmae 3% gel which is also amine based and doesn't seem to have any pH regulaters. So far I can't see much difference apart from the fact that the IN is $50 for 15ml and Kripps is $50 for 50 ml.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Firming / Tightening Ingredients All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: