Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

DMSO(dimethyl sulfoxide)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: DMSO(dimethyl sulfoxide) Reply with quote

Is DMSO useful for the skin in any way, such as for making your own skin products? Elsewhere, I read that it can actually increase the penetration of certain ingredients when applied topically to the skin.. The info I have below (from www.jacoblab.com) lists DMSO as an anti-inflammatory and also says it has effects on collagen, and it penetrates into the skin and the body very rapidly.

DMSO has been called “The Aspirin of the 21st Century”
*It has been used to treat the following conditions:
athletic injuries
osteoarthritis
rheumatoid arthritis
herniated disk of the neck and lower back
scleroderma (systemic sclerosis)
thermal burns of the 1st and 2nd degree
radiation burns
frostbite

When applied to the skin, DMSO penetrates rapidly and will pass into the tissue below. Scientists believe DMSO may produce a wide range of pharmacologic actions, including anti-inflammation (reduces swelling), local analgesia (relieves pain), bacteriostasis, diuresis, cholinesterase inhibition, potentiator of the action of concomitantly administered drugs, influence on collagen, nonspecific enhancement of immunity, vasodilation, and lessening of adhesiveness of blood platelets.

50% DMSO is provided as a topical solution containing 500mg/mL dimethyl sulfoxide in deionized water. This concentration produces minimal skin irritation, therefore, is applied to the skin freely, and is the recommended choice for people with sensitive skin such as red hair/light complexion.
skin care addict

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: I have the same thought Reply with quote

I will check out the site you listed,I have asked in other forums about the
effect of for ex.Vit C then DMSO on top,for penetration. It sounds good.
Have you tried it?
I will be following this thread.Thank you for bringing the subject up.
Skincare addict
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I haven't tried DMSO yet. I'm still in the process of finding out more about it.
skin care addict

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: are we the only ones who are interested Reply with quote

That website was very interesting.
I used Vit C and then put some Kripps Super C serum with DMAE,then used a 70% DMSO cream,rose scented on top.I slept with it on.I usually use Green Cream at night and VitC in the morning. No irritation,the brand I used from the Health Food Store, Natures Gift. But,I am going to order some.
I dont understand what Dr Jacob said about crosslinking collagen.I will be watching and see if anyone has more info.

Skincareaddict
jamesherried

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: are we the only ones who are interested Reply with quote

skin care addict wrote:
That website was very interesting.
I used Vit C and then put some Kripps Super C serum with DMAE,then used a 70% DMSO cream,rose scented on top.I slept with it on.I usually use Green Cream at night and VitC in the morning. No irritation,the brand I used from the Health Food Store, Natures Gift. But,I am going to order some.
I dont understand what Dr Jacob said about crosslinking collagen.I will be watching and see if anyone has more info.

Skincareaddict

Thanks for your feedback. As far as what Dr. Jacob means about crosslinking of collagen goes, my guess is that he's referring to glycation, but I'm not sure. I know glycation occurs when you have sugar molecules that crosslink with protein molecules, and that forms advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) that give the skin a rough texture over time. And if the MSM (I think he said, or was it the DMSO?) can help prevent glycation, that would be great. The reason is that with all the talk about wrinkles, we tend to forget about some of the other skin problems such as glycation.
kaylove

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thought I'd bump this old thread up and see if anyone has found out anything more about DMSO.

New info about topical use, folks?
vencasand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: dmso Reply with quote

yes dmso does an amazing amount of things. like it does help drugs go into the area of need. it is an anti inflamatory but just one this i should throw in here is that when using you smell like garlic or worse. you can't wash off the smell. it makes your whole body stink. another thing is if used without proper direction it can cause serious side affects. please be careful when using this.
utopia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: DMSO Reply with quote

Being a horse owner, I'm familiar with DMSO, as it's used on horse injuries. The strong smell has already been pointed out, however, as soon as you use it, you can taste it-sulfur taste. DMSO is nothing to use at abandon. I am very careful how/when I use DMSO and always wear gloves to apply it to a horse injury. I try MSM first, which is a byproduct of DMSO and a certain percentage of DMSO is converted to MSM, which is also found in certain foods. I had a horse founder and the vet used DMSO IV drips, which we changed every four hours. While it worked as a good anti-inflammatory [he didn't shed his hooves], it stunk so badly he/we /horse were reeling from the odor. It took weeks for it to finally subside from him/the area. DMSO is to be taken seriously and used carefully. As I said before, if you want to try DMSO, I would use products that have MSM in them.
wendyN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: DMSO Reply with quote

I use it for my arthritis in my hands and neck and anywhere else that starts to hurt. Put it on for a couple days until you feel better, then wait until it starts to hurt again and repeat. Use the Rose Scented Cream as seen here.
hubpages.com/hub/DMSOcream
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: