Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

is it true that all natural ingredients/products cannot....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEWELZ

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: is it true that all natural ingredients/products cannot.... Reply with quote

harm the skin? im thinking about applying all natural ingredients/products on my face from now on except things that cannot be helped such as sunscreens. i dont want to use chemicals on my skin anymore. i want to switch to jojoba oil, natural face packs, etc. there is no way all natural things can hurt the skin right?
jamesherried

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: is it true that all natural ingredients/products cannot. Reply with quote

JEWELZ wrote:
harm the skin? im thinking about applying all natural ingredients/products on my face from now on except things that cannot be helped such as sunscreens. i dont want to use chemicals on my skin anymore. i want to switch to jojoba oil, natural face packs, etc. there is no way all natural things can hurt the skin right?

According to Kevin Trudeau (author of the new book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About", and now "More Natural Cures"), you should never put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put in your body. His theory is that any molecule that is foreign to the body will either harm the skin when applied topically or it will get into your body(thru the skin) and do damage there, or maybe do damage both ways. While I don't yet agree with that belief entirely, there seems to be a lot of truth in it. For example, DHT, the chemical used in self-tanners has recently come under attack for causing damage to the DNA in the skin cells, thus promoting skin cancer. And a lot of the chemicals used in sunscreens and sunblocks have come under attack lately too, for the same reason(see skinbiology.com). He claims too that, ironically, the sun does not cause skin cancer, at least in moderate doses. He says that the chemicals in the sunscreens cause skin cancer!
jamesherried

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not the chemicals in sunscreens cause skin cancer(as Kevin Trudeau claims) is something I don't know for sure, but it might very well be true. For a long time, people have been lead to believe, for example, that self-tanners are safer than the sun. Now it appears that isn't the case, since DHT (the chemical found in most self-tanners) is suspected by some to cause damage to the DNA in the skin, thus increasing the risk for cancer. And it might be the same thing with sun screens. For years, we've been lead to believe that sunscreens are safer than the sun(especially by the companies selling the sunscreens, and skin doctors who have a "hand-in hand" relationship with the pharmaceutical industry), but if people like Kevin Trudeau are correct(and also the people on skinbiology.com), that may not be true either. At this point I'm inclined to conclude that moderate amounts of sun are probably much safer than either self-tanners or sunscreens, and moderate amounts of sun are good for your health. Humans evolved to be in the sun. In fact, moderate amounts of sun may even "prevent" skin cancer, because of the Vitamin D that's produced, and many health experts now say that Vitamin D can help prevent cancer. In fact , there was a study done a while back showing that people who got moderate doses of sun each day on their skin had lower rates of skin cancer that people who got no sun on their skin each day. The authors offered no explantion for the finding, but it could be the Vitamin D. Now I don't know about the safety of long hours of sun on the skin...is that safer than a sunscreen or self-tanner? I don't know, but I think that moderate doses of sun are safer. I think that to say that you stay out of the sun completely is like saying that we stop breathing, because most of the free radicals in our body are oxygen molecules, and our main source of oxygen is the air we breath. So stop breathing to avoid those free radicals? No way...I think the best advice is to get moderate doses of sun each day on your skin(without sunscreen), and expose as much of your body as you can to sun so that you get the full benefits of the sun faster without overexposure to any one part of your skin. You might want to avoid the neck and face areas though(since those areas are more sensitive to the sun). This won't give you a tan probably, but i guess there's no such thing as a safe tan, whether from the sun or from a tube.
Terihe

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: My thoughts and practices.... Reply with quote

I like to use natural or organic products when at all possible. One thing to remember is natural skin care products have chemicals in them as well. They are chemicals from the earth. Take a look at the periodic table of elements and compare ingredients. Some natural skin care companies still use a few man made chemicals in them. And the products that do use a synthetic chemical are usually made from a natural chemical somewhere down the road. They change the structure of it. I try to use very basic products, the less ingredients for the base the better. I used to use chemical sunscreens (european brands with mexoryl and tinosorb) and stressed out over it when my face broke out or I did not have it on my other body parts when outside. Stress can age you as well as the sun so I quit stressing about it and found a natural based sunscreen that won't break me out. I now use a zinc and titanium based sunscreen because I feel they are better for my skin and don't make me break out. I wear them inside as well as out so when I do go out it protects me. I don't always wear it on my body so I am getting some Vit D. Even if you do wear sunscreen I don't believe most people put the recommended amount on and there are areas of the body that we miss, and no sunscreen can block all of the rays no matter how well they are made. People are living longer and healthier lives with or without sunscreen even with all the chemicals we absorb through eating and products that we put on our skin. Just use common sense and don't stay in the sun too long and yes, I feel some sunscreen protection is needed to keep the skin looking young.
JEWELZ

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm..so what should i use on my skin to protect it from the rays? ive read that physical sunscreens can block pores and it's hard to wear makeup on top of that, and i dont want to wear chemical sunscreens. im acne prone and have clogged pores that im trying to treat

i dont stay in the sun nor do i like frying under the sun and i dont mind not tanning myself..

ive just found out about the benefits of organic oils and im trying to learn as much about them as possible...woudl applying antioxidant oils prevent my skin from premature aging due to exposure to sunlight?
jands

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of botanical extracts that seem to offer some UV protection, I learned about most of these from the BoB website. I don't believe that they replace a good sun protection product, but it would be better than using nothing.

For starters I suggest you read this PDF file:

Cutaneous photodamage, oxidative stress, and topical antioxidant protection

Some extracts that may be of benefit are:

L-Ascorbic Acid + Vitamin E
Ellagic acid
Ferulic Acid
Ginkgo Biloba
Grape Seed Extract (too strong a color for day-time for most people)
N-Acetyl-Cysteine
Pomegranate extract
Quercetin
Silymarin
Soy Isoflavones
Tea Polyphenols
Superoxide Dismutase

Some of these will dissolve in water, and some will require alcohol (perfumers alcohol, PG, ethanol) to dissolve.

At the moment I alternate between my homemade C+E+ferulic serum, and a non-acidic serum for my sensitive (Tretinoin) days.

I always let that sink in, and then apply LRP Anthelios FLuid Extreme on top. I need to wear sun protection because I use Tretinoin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: