Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Dimethicone in Aveeno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Dimethicone in Aveeno Reply with quote

I was trying to figure out why Dr T's choices for the best moisturizers include Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. The active ingredient is Dimethicone 1.25%. I found this article...

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666detCOrrrrQ-

that compares various Dimethicone moisturizer products. Would the Cavilon product be a good choice?

Mike
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

While the 'official' listed active ingredient in Aveeno is indeed dimethicone (as a skin protectant), its capacity for long-term moisture retention is more due to colloidal oatmeal (which cannot be listed as active under current rules because moisture retention is not an active treatment). As I mentioned before, I generally do not endorse specific products. The reason I mentioned Aveeno as an example was that it is both inexpensive and long-lasting, which most mosturizers are not. Again, in my view colloidal oatmeal plays a greater role in its effect than dimethicone, althogh they probably synergize. But there are other long-lasting moisturizers. In fact, many companies are now copying aveeno by adding colloidal oatmeal.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the colloidal oatmeal is good, is more better? Are there a list of products with colloidal oatmeal and their percentages of colloidal oatmeal? Even better, is there a source of colloidal oatmeal for the DIY folks? And a recipe??
Thanks again!
Mike
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More may not necessarily be better. And it is likely that dimethicone has some role too, such as reducing evaporation rate. Look in Quick Tips section, there maybe some oatmeal recipes there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: