Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Colloidal Oatmeal for DIY Shaving Gel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyonyakay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Colloidal Oatmeal for DIY Shaving Gel Reply with quote

I live in Sydney, Australia, and I would like to make a shaving gel for my brother-in-law to fix the dreadful razor burn, inflammation, ingrown hairs etc. he gets from shaving.

I have in mind replicating Aveeno's Therapeutic Shaving Gel, which is simply not available in Australia, and from what I have read, it will do wonderful things to fix his shaving issues.

I pretty much have all the ingredients to do it, except for the colloidal oatmeal itself.

Can any forum members suggest a reasonably-priced USA (or other country) online source for me to purchase it?
carolina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colloidal oatmeal is not actually made, Oats are ground
to make oatmeal flour, or powder. The oat powder then assumes
colloidal properties, or, becomes colloidal, when wet.

Colloidal actually means “gluelike” or “gummy”. “Colloidal” is fine
particles, dispersed in a medium (water, oil, etc.).

“Colloidal oatmeal-- oatmeal particles in a suspension, too big to
dissolve, too small to sink to the bottom of a
solution, oats are an immunostimulant and anti-inflammatory”

Colloidal oatmeal can be made at home using regular oatmeal. To do this, oatmeal purchased from the grocery story should be placed in a food processor, coffee grinder, or blender. Using one of these kitchen appliances, the oatmeal can be ground finely into colloidal oatmeal. This process can be somewhat tricky, though, because ground oatmeal that is too coarse will sink to the bottom of the bathtub rather than act as a colloid.

When it is added to water, it almost instantly produces a milk-like substance that gives the water a slimy consistency. This is because the oatmeal acts as a colloid, which means the molecules spread through another substance and permanently change its consistency. In this case, the molecules of oat spread through the water and permanently change the consistency of the water. Since the two substances combine together permanently, no oatmeal particles sink in the tub or float on the top of the water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: