Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Dimericine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jands

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Dimericine Reply with quote

Dr. Todorov,

Have you read any of the work done on the use of Dimericine as an emergency treatment for sun burned skin?

ccc.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=78917

NOTE: use 'w w w 3' (remove spaces)
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they claim to have developed liposome vehicle for bacetrial T4 endonuclease, an enzyme that participates in DNA repair. If it indeed does what it says, it is potentially useful as an "after sunburn" cream. Is is unlikely to have value in something like reducing wrinkles thou.
jands

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time outside, with lots of heavy sun exposure. Even though I use a lot of high UVA and UVB sun protection, I do still get burned, especially when I'm on and in the water (sailing, kayaking, windsurfing).

If this gets FDA approval and turns out to do what they claim it will do, then I think it is very exciting. Not a cure, but still another weapon in the fight against sun damage.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain time window within which reversible DNA damage becomes either trigger of apoptosis (cell death) or becomes a permanent mutation that cannot be repaired. Not sure exactly how long it is. If it is short and if T4 endonuclease is inactivated by the sun (which is very possible) then if you spend many consecutive hours in the sun, then even wearing T4 endonuclease cream and/or applying it afterwards may not do that much for you. Ideal scenario would be a relatively short sun exposure (under an hour perhaps) and then you can apply endonuclease cream right away -- in that case the damage is not yet permanent but since you are out of the sun, the enzyme won't get inactivated while making its repairs.

Without a study, these are mostly theoretical considerations. But if someone wants to run and has resources for such a study, I'll gladly explain what to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Other Actives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: