Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Sodium or Potassium ALA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlotte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Sodium or Potassium ALA Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Todorov, I'd like to try between Na-R-ALA and K-R-ALA from Geronova. I read that Na-R-ALA is 70% active and K-R-ALA ist 40%, so I prefer the sodium one, but I am worried that being sodium it could cause drying...is this possible? Is there any benefit over one or the other? I would like to dissolve it in water with glycerin and use it like that. What do you suggest is better?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your final formula is say 1-2%, the amount of sodium in it would likely be too low make a difference one way or the other. However, using a salt of ALA rather than ALA may liquefy some vehicles due to higher ionic strength.

Also, as of today, the advantages of R-ALA over ALA for skin care is still theoretical, nobody compared them in a skin care study yet. They may turn out to have the same effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: