Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Renova/Tretinoin ok for Eye area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Retinoids / Vitamin A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RazzyBerry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Renova/Tretinoin ok for Eye area? Reply with quote

HI:
IS Renova ok to use for the under eye area?

thanks
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes many use it in that area to smooth faint lines
Jouke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do! No problem. But be carefull your skin is not (too) sensitive, your eye area might become irritated. I'd suggest you start with a low concentration and/or on alternated days, just to see how your skin reacts.

Good luck!
Free Radical

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jouke wrote:
I do! No problem. But be carefull your skin is not (too) sensitive, your eye area might become irritated. I'd suggest you start with a low concentration and/or on alternated days, just to see how your skin reacts.

Good luck!

What exactly would be a low concentration. 0.01? i'm looking to start with 0.1% but am now thinking that may be too high.

What would you recommend someone start off with?

Thanks
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.01% or at least 0.025%
keli13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Retin-A and/or Renova under my eyes for two years now and the results have been amazing. Nothing else has improved my eye area like Retin-A has. It is always wise to start out with the lowest strength Retin-A due to the sensitivity of the eye area. If your skin tolerates that well you can always bump up to the next higher strength if you want to. I started with .025% and after my first tube started using .050% Renova and have stayed with .050%. It's the perfect strength for my skin. When using Retin-a under the eyes the area will sometimes look more wrinkled and crepey for the first month or two until your skin in that area gets used to the product. After a few weeks the area will slowly start to improve. Retin-A or Renova take time to see results. It took me about 6 months of every other night use to really see major improvements to my under eye area. It is so worth it !!

I highly recommend Retin-A or Renova under the eyes along with a good eye cream or moisturizer to help with dryness and of course sunscreen.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention what were the results you were enjoying. "Amazing" doesn't tell me anything :)
keli13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more fine lines or crepeyness due to my age, (44), smoking for 29 years and tanning beds for 12 years. I haven't smoked in a year and I haven't tanned in 7 years but the damage was there. I used Obagi Nu Derm to eradicate all of my discoloration for 18 weeks and Renova used by itself since then which got rid of my crepeyness and fine lines. It did take at least 6 months to start to see the real improvements. A persons results will depend on their skin and how deep their lines are amoung other issues like bags and under eye circles which I don't have.

It amazes me the money spent on eye creams that can't do anything like Renova or Retin-A can. Eye creams are great for moisture but not much else. This is my opinion based on what they haven't done for me. I don't even use eye creams. My regular moisturizer works just fine around my eyes.

If a person is against Renova or Retin-A under their eyes it's their loss.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience retinoids are the only thing that actually does something, everything else is fluff.

Any result on crows feet if any?
Free Radical

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehrzn wrote:
In my experience retinoids are the only thing that actually does something, everything else is fluff.

Any result on crows feet if any?

Sounds good, but do you not find that it thins the under eye skin. I'm worried because the skin there is so thin to start with.

Also, surely this cream does not help with bags?

My feling is that if you have no bags, then then retin A may be suitable, but if you do, then having thinner skin will only worsen the swelling as there's even less resistance.

Any thoughts?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retin thins the epidermis by speeding up the exfoliation - the skin surface looks polished - but thickens the dermis. Overall skin is thicker.

If you have undereye bags, the skin thickness is not the problem. You either have

1. lack of fat at the orbital rim which creates illusion of protruding bag higher than the rim. That is correctable with filler to fill the groove and smooth out the area. Fat transfer is best but I had Juvederm there put a year and half ago and it still there and doesn't seem to go away. So try Juvederm instead of fat if you want. Just chose experienced injector and good aesthetic eye.

2. OR the cause is too much fat there. Then plastic surgery, cutting the fat off is the only remedy.

Creams have no effect on lack of volume of too much volume whatsoever.
freckleface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to undereye hollows due to lack of fat, does Juvederm get rid of the dark circles at the same time?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, on the contrary - if it's injected too superficially Juvederm will give brownish/bluish tint beneath the skin (it's due to the way Juvederm scatters light) at certain viewing angles and can create illusion of ' dark circles' that weren't there before. That happens only with unexperienced injectors if it's injected too close to the surface, deep injection doesn't create problems.

For dark circles I highly recommend aplying micronized zinc oxide sunscreen around the eyes. Those don't sting and they brighten out the color enough that in many cases the dark circles 'disappear'. On top of that your eye area will be UV protected.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard various reports that fat transfer in the undereye area CAN reduce dark circles due to capillaries seen through the skin. Obviously for that to happen the fat has to be injected between the bluish capillaries and the skin surface to cover up the capillaries. That will require superficial fat injection. Many plastic surgeons will refuse to do it cause it may lead to complications like obvious fat lumps. If the lumping is deeper it is not visible but superficial lumping will need correction and fat is not easily correctable like Hyaluronic Acid fillers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Retinoids / Vitamin A All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: