Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Orange Oil - Vitamin C content?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumblebee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Orange Oil - Vitamin C content? Reply with quote

Apologies if this is a silly question, but as I'm no expert when it comes to chemical composition or whatnnot, I would like to know if orange oil has a vitamin C content..

If so, would the content be high enough to cause the damage/reap no benefits if oxidized?

I'm specially asking due to orange oil being a main ingredient in a cleanser I wish to try.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange oil has at best traces of vitamin C (incidentally vit. C is not oil soluble). Not remotely enough for a topical effect (as least as far as its vitamin C content goes).
mark007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at a variety of vitamin C supplements, you will find that the majority of them contain only ascorbic acid or a compound called ascorbate, which is a less acidic form of acorbic acid. Ascorbic acid is NOT vitamin C. It represents the outer ring that serves as a protective shell for the entire vitamin C complex, much like an orange peel that serves as a protective shell for an orange.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure where your information comes from, but as far as established science is concerned, vatamin C is L-ascorbic acid, which at physiological pH exists mostly in the form of L-ascorbate.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C

Some people refer to vitamin C complex when they mean a mixture of vitamin C and flavonoids, such as quercetin. Flavonoids may enhance certain aspects of vitamin C biological activity. However, they are not essential. Lack of vitamin C in the diet will cause scurvy and eventually death. The lack of flavonoids will not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Vitamin C All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: