Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Copper peptides and MMP inhibitor skincare?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheellah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Copper peptides and MMP inhibitor skincare? Reply with quote

I've been reading about the new skincare line by the dermatologist Patricia Wexler. It's been proven in tests to inhibit the production of MMPs. Would using copper peptides be counterproductive with these products? It would seem one would seek to preserve collagen, and the other to break it down. Dr. Pickart claims his peptides have some inhibiting effects on MMP's, but they also degrade collagen by increasing the production of MMP's. They are supposed to only degrade damaged collagen, but it's unclear whether some healthy collagen is also broken down.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this from Dr. Todorov as to whether I should discontinue copper peptides if I use MMP inhibitor skincare products. Thanks!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many types of MMPs and their relative activities are altered by copper (some insrease, others decrease) so as to falilitate skin remodelling characteristic of the 2-nd phase of wound healing. How this will interact with an added MMP inhibitor depends on which MMP(s) it inhibits and other factors that are hard to predict. I think it would be prudent to halt using CP while trying this other line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: