Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

best cleanser for oily skin???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Common Skin Imperfections
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discohouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: best cleanser for oily skin??? Reply with quote

I have tried so many cleansers for oily skin, and they all work for the first hour, then my skin gets very greasy and shiney. I'm using an oil free day time lotion, and at night I'm using Retin-A. I know that using a cleanser that strips away all my oils just makes my skin create more oil in the end, so I have tried to use a cleanser without any irritants or sodium laureth sulphate and without any drying soaps, but it still gets very greasy an hour after I wash and apply my oil free face lotion.

Are there any cleansers there that help to heal my skin so that it won't produce so much oil after it's been washed? Right after I wash my face, my face looks so perfect!! Even right after I apply my lotion, but an hour later.....I look so creepy! and my pores look huge and i look all greasy and sweaty, even though I'm not sweating!

Again, I don't use any irritating cleansers, my cleanser doesn't even foam up since it doesn't contain any soaps or sodium laureth sulphate. Ive tried all types of cleansers....Even Dove Soap for Sensitive Skin....
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You skin will produce excess oil even if you wash with water instead of cleanser. Whether it produces more oil when 'stripped' with the cleanser is a matter of debate. I personally was never able to confirm it beyond doubt. Not irritating your skin is a good idea but not because of the oil.

You have two options:

1. Use mattifiers like Monistat powder gel or anything that contains Vinyl Dimethicone, silica powder, talk etc

2. Regulate the oil production with low doses Accutane (5-10mg/day depending how oily you are or how hot the weather is) or if you are female, some antiadrogens (Spironolactone) will help regulate the oil too.
Discohouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've began today by washing my face with creamy oils instead of cleansers to see how that will go. I've heard some people tell me that they have used "cold creams" to wash their faces and it has worked really well. My mom has always used Nivea cream to wash her face and remove make-up. She is 56 and looks amazing!

Anyway, I'm a guy, and I was thinking of using Aveeno's Creamy Moisturizing Oil which contains Sesame Seed Oil, Oat Kernel Oil, and Sweed Almond Oil. I've also been thinking of washing my face with Emu Oil. I'm currently using biofermented sea kelp gel to wash my face and see how the results will be this week. So far I have used products such as Cliniderm's Gentle Non-irritating Cleanser with no sodium laureth sulphates, Spectro Jel, and Dove Soap Sensitive Skin (as Dr. Todorov has recommended on this site). None of them help with my skin at all....Especially the Dove soap makes my skin VERY ichy afterwards.

I use Monistat Chafing Relief Jel too, and I have noticed that it only keeps me looking matte for an hour or two, then it gets all oily again. And I have to keep applying it all during the day. And the problem is not that I use too little either...I use quite a lot as if I were applying a cream on my face.

I just feel so hopeless and worrying that I'm damaging my skin further. I already have a visible wrinkle all across my forehead...

I'm using Retin-A at night every other day to see how that will help will the oil regulation. During the day time I use Complex 15 Daily Face Cream which seems to be most watery face lotion I can find on the market. But it still leaves me greasy an hour later...

Anything I put on my face leaves me greasy within an hour, including Aloe Vera Gel, which leads me to think it's not the creams, but it must be the way I'm washing my face, or some hormonal inbalance I have.

Complex 15 contains:
Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Squalane, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, PEG-40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Glycol Stearate, Myristyl Myrisate, Stearic Acid, Carbomer, Magnesium Aluminum Silicatge, Diazolidinyl Urea, Lecithin, Sodium Hydroxide, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA.

I've never heard of Accutane. Is it a medication I can take in a pill form, or an ance cream?? Any help would be a godsend!!!!
Discohouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just read some info on Accutane and it seems I really need some!! I seem to have all the symptoms that a lot of people who use it have as well. I DO have acne on my shoulders and upper arms, and these little white bumps that grow underneath my skin on my shoulders, and the skin on my shoulders is oily too. I guess this leads me to think that my oily skin on my face must be treated with this drug.

So you say I should start on the doses you recommended?? Is it ok to use Retin-A while on Accutane?

I'm sorry to ask so much, but I'm getting really excited to have found a possible solution to my problem I have suffered from since a teenager!
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accutane and Retin-A are the same active ingredient but Accutane is taken orally while retin-A is applied topically. Their action is different because Accutane enters the blood stream and can regulate whatever organ/process it wants like a hormone, retinA does not lead to systemic concetrations of the active and acts locally on the skin. Illustration of that is that accutane reduces sebum production while retinA doesn't.

Low dose Accutane is 10mg/day. Use vaseline on lips every night. The sebum production cuts down at the end of the second week. It's best not to use retinA or other anti-acne ingredients while on Accutane cause it makes skin more sensitive and it will be too much. For more info on lower doses accutane read the blog
forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=7125&start=0

The thing is that Accutane has to be taken forever to keep the oil down. Some people told me that a maintenance dose of like 20 mg / twice per week works well. If you stop Accutane completely, the sebum will come back.
vera jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: I like Clenziderm Reply with quote

Better than proactive by far. it last 3 months so it is fairly reasonable. If that is still to much, then you want to find a cleanser that is not too drying as that makes your skin go into overdrive and produce more oil.
sophia_town

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: List of cheap and expensive products Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you had a chance to look at an artilce on About.com:Beauty that gives the cleansers for all skin types? It even goes on to list them out from cheap to expensive.

If you haven't seen it yet, you can find it here: beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/facecleansers.htm

Good luck.
jones10021

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Retina A treatment has helped me tremendously so I hope it helps you too.
jones10021

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use clean and clear. It works for my oily skin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Common Skin Imperfections All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: