Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Astaxanthin and AstaREAL®/AstaTROL®

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antdatt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Astaxanthin and AstaREAL®/AstaTROL® Reply with quote

Hi, first time poster and somewhat new reader to Smarskincare.com...
I really like the website btw, very informative.

Anyway I was browsing Dr. Perricone's supplements, and saw that his Astaxanthin is made by a company called AstaREAL. In an interview, I remembered him saying that it was 500 times more powerful than Vitamin E, and if taken internally, one would see "diminished lines in about 8 weeks." So if this is true, what about an Astaxanthin topical cream??

I looked through his website for a while and didn't find any Astaxanthin specific cream, so I did a search on google for the company that makes AstaREAL and found that they make also make something called AstaTROL, which is "specifically designed for personal care and cosmetic products."

So my question is, what might be the benefit (if any) to making a cream with Astaxanthin instead of E? Would making it be very different than the E cream? and also, why hasn't Dr. Perricone made an astaxanthin cream if the same company he gets AstaREAL from makes a topical variation of it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Upon further observation, I found two studies on the AstaREAL website relating to the effects of astaxanthin on the skin when taken as a supplement. astareal.com/m6_2.html also, I just realized that the very topical I'm using now has astaxanthin and pycnogenol in it! I have dry skin and bought the cream to see if it would help. So far it has been okay, but I feel my skin burning from time to time, and I'm not sure if its from the cream or from too much washing.

In addition, I tried a PubMed search for either one of the two studies, and unless I'm doing something wrong, I just couldn't find them =\... So either they weren't published on there, or they never existed!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astaxanthin is in many ways similar to lycopene. Topical usage, including DIY, would likely be similar. See smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/lycopene.html
antdatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Dr T. do you recommend any specific type of astaxanthin supplement? I was looking at some brands including vitamin shoppes brand and they all seem to have unnecessary junk in them, I really couldn't tell you for sure though. What I do know is that Dr. Perricones astaxanthin supplements only have olive oil and gelatin...
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked into the brands, but if you want a good mix of antioxidant carotenoids, try Sea buckthorn oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: