Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Will pearl powder mixed through sunscreen decrease the SPF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jouke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Will pearl powder mixed through sunscreen decrease the SPF? Reply with quote

I used to use pearl cream under my moisturizer with SPF15, but the pearl cream has become much more expensive, so I decided to mix some pearl powder (that I already had in stock) from GoW with my moisturizer. First I put a little bit of pearl powder in my hand, I mix it with two drops of water, and then I add my daily amount of moisturizer and mix again.

The result is unexpectedly stunning!! My skin immediately is and stays very matte, usually my skin gets oily after a few hours, whatever I do or use, but with the pearl powder it doesn't.

There is only one thing I am affraid of: will the pearl powder decrease the SPF of 15?
If so: I might consider to use a higher SPF so that it still ends up with 15 or more.

Thanks in advance for your answer!
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it wont affect the SPF. What are the sunscreens (give %) in your moisturizer and what is 'pearl powder'?

Many moisturizers don't have adequate UVA protection which contradicts the point of using sunscreen. There are currently on the market several matte and semi-mate all-chemical sunscreens with adequate UVA factors.
Jouke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia:
Pearl powder is a preparation of crushed pearls used in China for skin care, and in traditional Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory and detoxification agent.
Pearl powder is a finely milled powder made from freshwater pearls, which contains a number of amino acids and several minerals. It is considered by its proponents to help improve the appearance of the skin.

I use Paula's Choice Essential Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 15 for Normal to Oily/Combination Skin.

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate) 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 2%, and Oxybenzone 2% (sunscreen agents).

Still my skin gets oily after a couple of hours. With the pearl powder through the sunscreen it also gets oily, but it takes twice as long.
So I don't use the pearl powder to keep my face matte, that is just an extra benefit.
You only need a very little bit of pearl powder, maybe 1/10th of a teaspoon each application. But the amount of cream (sunscreen + powder) on your face will go up, so that's why I'm afraid the SPF will go down (it will be diluted)

Thanx!
Jouke
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The composition of pearls is mostly CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) and about 10% conchiolin (complex protein). I don't think those can react chemically with the chemical sunscreens.

The sunscreen has UVA factor of 4-5 according to CIBA sunscreen simmulator. It's kind of low.

Does it sting when you applied on washed off face?
Jouke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4 to 5???????????!!! :x
I can't imagine that Paula's Choice claims it to be 15 when it's only 4-5!!!

No, it doesn't sting, but my skin doesn't sting easily.
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF (the UVB factor) is indeed 15, the UVA factor is at most 5.

All matte or semi-matte chemical sunscreens with better UVA protection you may like are:

Banana Boat Sun Wear Faces Oil-Free daily sunblock lotion SPF 30 (estimated UVA 6-9) - semi-matte finish, feels like a moisturizer, may feel 'warm' till the skin adjusts

Banana Boat Sun Wear daily sunblock lotion SPF 50 (estimated UVA 7-9) - like the above with stronger protection and even better price/oz

Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-sun-damage daily moisture lotion SPF 28 (estimated UVA 7-9) - contains antioxidants Lycopene and Vit C, matte finish

The best matte finish capable if mattifying skin oil all day is Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 30 (estimated UVA 4-5). The problem with it is that it's not photo-stable, the avobenzone is not stabilized with octocrylene and also the estimated UVA is low.
Jouke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never realised that SPF only refers to the UVB-protection and that the SPF of UVB always is much lower! :(
And it's UVA that ages your skin I have been told.

Right now it's winter in the Netherlands and the SPF15 of Paula will do (I use it every day), but in summer I'd like to use something more protectice.

I would love to try Banana Boat and Garnier, but these sunscreens are not available in the Netherlands. I tried to order Banana Boat from the States, but even if they dó ship overseas the shipping will be 30 dollar!!

Last summer I used Avene Cleanance Solar SPF40. Do you know it? I don't know the ingredients, but what I like about it is that it is not fragranced and that it is for acne-prone skin (because that's what I have).
But.......it is a little sticky, so not so good under (powder)make-up.

Regards,
Jouke
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with Avene or non-greasy Euro sunblocks. I tried PizBuin this summer in eastern europe but it wasn't as non-greasy as it claimed to be. In general european sunscreens have more effective sunblocks than USA but they don't seem to get it yet that customers prefer matte finish especially for everyday sunscreens.
Jouke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangehrzn wrote:
In general european sunscreens have more effective sunblocks than USA but they don't seem to get it yet that customers prefer matte finish especially for everyday sunscreens.

Europe is not that much convinced as the States of the necessity to use an SPF every day, also on clouded days.
Here most people only use sunscreen on the beach. And there it is not really important that your sunscreen stays matte, more important is that it's water resistant.
We have Garnier Nutrionist in the Netherlands, but the highest SPF they have in their moisturizer is SPF4!!

Too bad.....I think it's important you can combine your sunscreen with your make-up, so it shouldn't be oily or sticky and it should give a high protection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: