Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

mineral oils, are them good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinamometro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: mineral oils, are them good? Reply with quote

Dear all and specially Dr Torovov,
Do you think mineral oils (paraffinum liquidum, etc) are good for skin? Some web pages and I know even of some dermatologist doctors that do not recommend this. I use a base cream now quite nice without parabents and really cheap, my only doubt about it is that it contains mostly paraffinum liquidum.
I used before some very expensive creams without any petrolatum derivatives, but whish to change to something DIY and cheaper.
Can I lose effectiveness by using mineral oils?. Are thay clogging , drying, etc?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: base cream Reply with quote

If you find a nice base cream , it would help some of us that are still looking : what is the name of your base cream ? tks
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mineral oil is an inert and generally benign ingredient. Unless you have any reaction to it or find it comedogenic (it is for some but not the majority of people), I don't see anything wrong with using it.
dinamometro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Dr Torovov for your input.

About the base cream. I have used Dr. Baumann products for some time (I have posted a review of them here), but they are expensive. They don't have parabens or any irritating or bad ingredient, they are also simple (few ingredients) so that helps for DIY cream.

About this new one I found with mineral oils but no parabens I guess it will be of no help for most of you, this is a cream I bought from a brand of Spanish supermarkets, I have no idea what company is making the cream, since this is a white brand cream from this supermarkets.
I would suggest you just now and then look at some ingredient list of cheap creams, they are the best!!
(This is only 1$ 150 mL)
dia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: mineral oils Reply with quote

mineral oils are a no no for the skin... my experience... if I put something on my face with parafine liquidim in it...(or any other mineral oils..) my face blew up. The working ingredients can never come into your skin... mineral oils are realy a bad vehicle...
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With vehicles, it is always a trade off. Some people have acne prone skin and react to any oil, incuding mineral oil. Others benefit from oil based creams. Each oil has pros and cons. For example, some vegetable oils oxidise quickly due to high degree of unsaturation, while mineral oil does not oxidize as much as it is more saturated.

In my experience, the vehicles where mineral oil (or vegetable oil for that matter) is the predominant ingredient may be comedogenic for some people, but cream with modest amount of mineral oil are usually well tolerated.

Of course, mineral oil has its drawbacks, but so does virtually every other vehicle. One has to find the best match for their individual skin.

The point I was trying to make earlier was that since mineral oil is chemically rather inert it does not have any toxicity and is hypoallergenic.
dinamometro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The point I was trying to make earlier was that since mineral oil is chemically rather inert it does not have any toxicity and is hypoallergenic.

I have found in this web page http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/chemhealtheffect.php?chem_id=1622

That petrolatum and other mineral oils can be contaminated with impurities that can be toxic (carcinogens). So the problem would be the impurities, not the mineral oil composition itself.
Dr Todovov, do you think this should be of concern? or are them just pushing too far the fear for carcinogens?.
Thanks so much for your posts, they are most helpful.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like virtually any other skin care ingredient, mineral oil can be poorly purified and therefore contain contaminants.

However, most legitimate brands of mineral oil are well purified. Incidentally baby oil is mineral oil.

The fears of carcenogencty of mineral oil contaminans in skin care are most likely vastly overblown. In fact, a piece of fried chicken, or even a mildly crispy toast contains far more carcinogens than baby oil. And yet nobody seems to be outraged about the toast :)
dinamometro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Like virtually any other skin care ingredient, mineral oil can be poorly purified and therefore contain contaminants.

However, most legitimate brands of mineral oil are well purified. Incidentally baby oil is mineral oil.

The fears of carcenogencty of mineral oil contaminans in skin care are most likely vastly overblown. In fact, a piece of fried chicken, or even a mildly crispy toast contains far more carcinogens than baby oil. And yet nobody seems to be outraged about the toast :)

Very good answer!!! :) I like the comparison.
Aurora~Borealis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: mineral oils, are them good? Reply with quote

dinamometro wrote:
Dear all and specially Dr Torovov,
Do you think mineral oils (paraffinum liquidum, etc) are good for skin? Some web pages and I know even of some dermatologist doctors that do not recommend this. I use a base cream now quite nice without parabents and really cheap, my only doubt about it is that it contains mostly paraffinum liquidum.
I used before some very expensive creams without any petrolatum derivatives, but whish to change to something DIY and cheaper.
Can I lose effectiveness by using mineral oils?. Are thay clogging , drying, etc?

Personally I'd rather avoid an ingredient used in creams because it is inexpensive for the manufacturers, which clogs the pores in the skin by 40-60% disturbing the skin's balance, and which makes your skin dependent on it.. But I must say there is a lot of confusing information and "documentation" out there in both directions..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: