Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Antioxidants mix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Antioxidants mix Reply with quote

Hello Dr!
Having figured out that it was my web browser that blocked the Paypal button I have bought and finished reading the DIY-skincare section just now. You advise against mixing the ultimate solution containing everything but having read it I figure substances that are similar should work fine mixed? For example if one were to mix together the Vitamin C, E and Ferulic combo with the Lycopene cream putting it into an Idobenone mixture one would obtain like the ultimate antioxidant crŤme?

Iím just wondering how this compares to making separate creams and applying them on top of one another?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idebenone is likely to be less stable at low pH that ascobric acid creates. As I mentioned, arbitrary mixing is often counterproductive.
Igor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. So separate creams it is.

I was also wondering about the base, the sites you suggest for ingredient shopping all have their own formulas but since that consumes time, energy and money I was wondering how ďVelvesil DM siliconeĒ (dimethicone?) would work as an anhydrous base and carrier for the actives? Is it ok to just pour them in creating small batches every week or are other ingredients necessary?

Another question is about acne management, you donít mention that in your publications, but what ingredients would you suggest? I have an acne cream from both MD Formulations and MD Skincare in which the active ingredient is Salicylic Acid 1.0% respectively 2.0%, and also from Bare Escentuals in which the active is Sulphur(!) 3.25%. Do these make any sense? Are there any more efficient (that you can make yourself)?

Igor
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimethicone is an acceptable in ingredient as a part of anhydrous base but I am not sure if used alone it is adequate in terms of texture, viscosity and other properties - haven't looked into that.

As far as acne, it's too broad a question to answer in a post, but see first the acne section of this site:
smartskincare.com/conditions/acne/
Igor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Dimethicone is an acceptable in ingredient as a part of anhydrous base but I am not sure if used alone it is adequate in terms of texture, viscosity and other properties - haven't looked into that.

Itís on its way anyhow so how exciting then for me to try it out. If it does not work as hoped Iím sure Iíll find something else to mix it with =)
Igor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor wrote:
Thanks for your answer. So separate creams it is.
Another question is about acne management, you donít mention that in your publications, but what ingredients would you suggest? I have an acne cream from both MD Formulations and MD Skincare in which the active ingredient is Salicylic Acid 1.0% respectively 2.0%, and also from Bare Escentuals in which the active is Sulphur(!) 3.25%. Do these make any sense? Are there any more efficient (that you can make yourself)?

After further investigating I have an idea to fight these acne problems. Firstly Iíll add some Salicylic acid to a random cleanser for use twice a day morning and night. To top it up Iíll have a cream containing Green Tea EGCG, Tea tree oil, Niacinamide and some Liquorice for oil control to use afterwards?

Does it sound like a sound(pun!) strategy combating acne? Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Igor
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any evidence that liquorice makes much difference in acne but the other ones you listed were shown to have some benefits although evidence is limited. That said, individual responses vary, so it is hard to predict what will work in any specific case. But it does make sense to start with less damaging/irritating actives, which you seem to be doing.
Igor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Well if it does not make such difference at least it'll provide a nice smell? =) Anyhow it's worth a shot; I'll see how my skin reacts and if I encounter any problems you'll hear from me again ; ).

Cheers!
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor, just get on low dose accutane regimen, 10 mg/day. In two weeks your skin oil will normalize, in few months it will clear up. Anti-acne topicals just aggravate skin and do not resolve the problem unless your acne is 'two pimples / month' type.
Igor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would but in Sweden they're really restrictive with prescription medication only prescribing Accutane or Retinol to people with serious boil-ish pimples that will cause severe scarring or psychic problems if left untreated. I donít know if you remember, but I tried what was left of my friendís Vitamin A prescription , it worked well so I tried ordering from Medsmex (heard they were recommended) but they would not ship to Sweden.

So orangehrzn Iím trying everything that I can possibly come up with and hereís where I stand now =) Thanks for the tip though!
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you should pay attention to what you eat, apart from accutane that is the most effective way of keeping the skin pimple free.

Avoid concentrated refined sugar like cookies, chocolate, icecream etc

Instead of dinner, eat a bowl full of fruts or green salads.

Fruits/veggies that have most effect on my skin are: kiwis, blue berries, green or red bell peppers. I eat a huge bowl of that before bed, wake up with calm white skin with less bumps.
Igor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Will try that, thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: