Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

New Resveratrol extract

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: New Resveratrol extract Reply with quote

Any opinions on this form of Resveratrol extract?

lotioncrafter.com/store/Metabiotics-Resveratrol-pr-16626.html

personalcaremagazine.com/Story.aspx?Story=4714
sloro

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: I ordered this last week.... Reply with quote

I'll let you know. I like that this one is water soluble rather than the alcohol soluble powdered form. It is being delivered today. I am curious to see if there is much of a difference between the two.
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this about this product on another forum:

Was lunched at the In-Cosmetics exhibition on April 21 2009 and received the industry's award for the most innovative ingredient for 2009.
It is in the category for probiotics and is acosmetic ingredient especially destined to fight aging in a completely new way.
sloro

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the perfect eye cream! :D I'll let you know what my experience is with it. It is in liquid form, and since it's water soluble, it will be easy to mix with other antioxidants. I have read that you cannot use Resveratrol with Niacinamide because sirtuins are inhibited by Niacinamide, so that will not be a part of the potion.
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how your gonna formulate with this ingredient?
I use a C serum that has many goodies in it. I dont want to add anything else to this. I wait around 20 minutes after applying it and have been using NaPCA spray, red tea spray, and drops of centella asiatica (gotu kola) also from lotioncrafter.com
As well as drops of pomegranate extract.
I'd like to somehow formulate these ingredients together (along with the resveratrol) to save me time in the morning.
I have experience formulating but would like anyones suggestions.
sloro

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may mix with MAP, green tea and NaH (Hyaluronic Acid). I haven't made up my mind yet. It may be good just as a simple toner in a spray bottle mixed with water and Cosmocil CQ, or as a simple serum with just the NaH. You could mix it with the pomegranate extract, red tea and gotu kola, but I am not sure how that combination would do together. My skin seems to like and respond better to simple formulations better than the soup/stew type formulations.
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DIY cocktail serum consists of:

NaPCA, Butylene Glycol, Green Tea Extract, Centella Asiatica, Pomegranate Extract, Metabiotics Resveratrol, a few drops of Phenoxyethanol, and H2O

Makes a nice brownish serum.

I use this after my DIY C serum.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topical resveratol may increase some types of UV damage. It may be premature to use it as a skin care ingredient. See
smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/sirtuins.html (scroll down that page)
sloro

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that article! I have found that my skin seems to respond much better to Niacinamide, and since the two shouldn't be used together, I think I'll stick with my Vitamin B3. Thank you Dr. Todorov for providing this fantastic and educational website!!!
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Topical resveratol may increase some types of UV damage. It may be premature to use it as a skin care ingredient. See
smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/sirtuins.html (scroll down that page)

Yes I've read that article. Got a link to the study saying it may increase UV damage? Wonder how this different form (delivery) of resveratrol differs from the common resveratrol? Hum.....I guess time will tell.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to find quickly the link to that UV study. But here's another one to illustrate complexities of resveratol use. Small oral doses are likely to be safe based on long history of wine use. Topical use may turn out to be a net benefit, but this is not yet proven.

----------------------------------------

Toxicol Lett. 2005 Oct 15;159(1):1-12.
Prooxidant activity of resveratrol in the presence of copper ions: mutagenicity in plasmid DNA.
Ahmad A, Syed FA, Singh S, Hadi SM.

Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, AMU, Aligarh, UP 202002, India.

Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound of plant origin, has been of much interest to researchers because of its anticancer and cardiovascular properties. Although antioxidant action of this compound is believed responsible for its reported properties, it has also been shown to exhibit prooxidant properties, especially in the presence of copper ions. Here we report the mutagenicity of resveratrol in plasmid DNA. Plasmid bluescript SK(+) DNA was treated with increasing concentrations of resveratrol in the presence and absence of copper ions, transformed into competent DH5alpha cells and sequenced. We looked for mutations caused by resveratrol treatment by comparing the sequences of treated plasmids versus control (untreated plasmid). The results show a decrease in the transformation efficiency of the plasmid after resveratrol treatment, and although all types of mutations were recorded, point mutations (deletions/substitutions) were found to be the predominant ones. Resveratrol alone resulted in deletion of mainly guanine bases. Since copper ions are known to be found in the nucleus, bound to guanine bases in chromatin, our results suggest mobilization of such endogenous copper by resveratrol resulting in prooxidant DNA cleavage at the site. Concentration of copper is reported to be elevated in various malignancies and the present studies might explain the reported anticancer activity of resveratrol in various cancer cell lines.
Skeeter42

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be the reference you were thinking of:

Resveratrol enhances UVA-induced DNA damage in HaCaT human keratinocytes.

Seve M, Chimienti F, Devergnas S, Aouffen M, Douki T, Chantegrel J, Cadet J, Favier A.
Laboratoire des Lésions des Acides Nucléiques, DRFMC/SCIB, CEA/Grenoble, Grenoble, France.

Resveratrol, a polyphenolic phytoalexin, is a very effective antioxidant that also exhibits strong antiproliferative and anti-inflammatory properties. Recent studies have provided support for the use of resveratrol in human cancer chemoprevention, in combination with either chemotherapeutic drugs or cytotoxic factors for a most efficient treatment of drug refractory tumor cells. Resveratrol is also widely used in topical preparations, as a chemoprotective compound against development of several cutaneous disorders, including skin cancer. Nevertheless, the combined effect of resveratrol and UVA irradiation on cellular toxicity and DNA damage has never been assessed. The aim of this work was to investigate the effect of resveratrol on cell fate in immortalized human keratinocytes HaCaT cells. The results indicated that resveratrol potentiates the production of significant amounts of 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine in UVA-irradiated genomic DNA. Moreover, the combination of resveratrol with UVA significantly enhances the induction of DNA strand breaks and cell death in HaCaT keratinocytes. The conclusion is a potential hazardous effect of topical application of resveratrol, particularly on regions exposed to sunlight.

PMID: 16787346 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's it. Thanks for posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Antioxidants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: