Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Please help, copper peptide damage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHN123

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Please help, copper peptide damage Reply with quote

Hello Dr Todorov,

Can you please help me? I guess I am one of those that CPs damage.

I only used it diluted for 4 weeks, maybe less. I had irritation from the start. I called skinbios twice and they kept encouraging me to keep using it (!!). I kept diluting, starting at 1 to 7 then 1 to 14 drops water and every other day. I ended up with blisters and they said that's normal (!!) take a break and then continue. I took a break & then starting again at 1 drop of the cp serum to 14 drops water my face still turned bright red and I thought there's something wrong here and started googling. Then I found Septembrances post & stopped using the CPs.

I am 49 and generally looked 5 to 10 years younger all my life except during a long illness. I had finally gotten back to looking 5 to 8 years younger. Then this. Several days ago when I stopped I looked 55. Worse the next day and the next and tonight I look at least 60.

Last night I was really upset and googled again. Re-read Septembrances post and looked up MMPis. I tryed mashing an alpha-lipoic acid tablet in water as I read it was a MMPI. It just irritated my face and I washed it off. I hope that didn't do more damage. I have also been using some estriol cream and olay regenerist which has palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 which I understand is matryxl. I don't know if I should be using it yet.

Today I drove 120 miles and shelled out for the only MMPi I could find "Wexler MMPi regenerating serum". Put it on in the car & when I got home noticed my face was all red again so washed it off.

I don't know what to do. I put on the only mild moisturizer I have without any vit C in it, then noticed it has tocopheryl acetate near the bottom of the list. Is that another form of C?

I realise it's only been several days since I stopped, and it may get better, but I have aged 15 years in one month. I have new and deeper wrinkles all over my face and right now cannot imagine them just recuperating on their own. My face is also sagging a bit more. & I have very weird bumps, textures, flakyness, splotchy coloring and a spot of small vein breakage. A mole on my face looks as if it was fried in strong hydrogen peroxide or something- whitish skin on top of the brown. & my skin is much thinner.

What can I do?

Lynn
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had some kind of allergy to SkinBio's thing - blisters is not a normal reaction as CP damage. You simply have to wait for the skin to recuperate and please STOP putting anything on your skin. Just eat lots of fruits and veggies: kiwis, blue berries, green/red bell peppers. Those in my experience overperform any moisturizer in effect.

If you need moisturizer, apply pure avocado oil at night (too shiny during the day). It has the ability to calm skin after a few hours.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had irritation from the start it is more likely a reaction to some other ingredient in their products rather than just copper peptides. In any case, definitely discontinue their formulas.
yogagirl

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynn,
Sorry to hear you are having such a bad reaction to the SkinBio CP Serum! I had a similar reaction (though not as severe) and I think it was due to the bronopol they use as a preservative. It breaks down into formaldahyde, which I am very allergic to. I have to be very careful with what nail polish I use, since many nail polish formulas include formaldahyde. I agree with Dr. T. You should definitely stop using it. There are other brands that make CP Serums, such as Neova, PSF, Osmotics, I think even Neutragena (sp?). Maybe one of those formulas will better suit your skin. I stopped using the SkinBio CP's and switched to another brand & my skin has done a 360! It is calm & plump & smooth and no reaction like with the SB. Stay away from that bronopol! It wreaked havoc on my skin! I swear it aged me 5 years! I hope it works out for you! Good luck!
LHN123

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: thank you, thank you, thank you!! Reply with quote

Thank you guys soooo very much, his makes my day, seriously. Thanks for clear information! I am relieved (I think!?) that it is probably a reaction to another ingredient.

And YES I know for a fact that I'm allergic to formaldehyde. I could smell it but ignored that as 1. they said it wasn't and had no relation to formaldehyde. and 2. I really wanted to use the stuff. Now I know another chemical to look out for.

Uhmmm.... Sooo.... any guesses as to how much damage can I expect to be permanent from the formaldehyde? Do either of you know what might be helpful or what to stay away from that might interact with it? How long does it stay in the skin? a week? Right now I am using 99% aloe vera jelly which has a small amount of vit C, phenoxyethanol (?), sodium hydroxide, acrylates & retinyl palmitate.

Yogagirl, you said it aged you 5 years. Were you able to recover that? And what brand of CP are you using now? I may try CPs again much later using a different company's products. ...Maybe. I have had good luck before with olay's regenerist line. Maybe that's good enough, this has been very very scarey.

I do look a bit better today, like maybe 55. So maybe a lot of it is just irritation.
LHN123

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: orangehrzn Reply with quote

Thanks Orangehrzn,

I missed your post at first. I'm taking lots of natural vit C and eating lots of stuff with C. I'm only using the aloe on my face right now, it's the only one I could find as a gel. My fridge is on the blink so plain aloe won't keep. I think I might break out with avocado oil. but do you think it would work better than the aloe?
yogagirl

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: thank you, thank you, thank you!! Reply with quote

Hi Lynn,
Well, I don't think the damage to the formaldehyde would be permanant, but then again, I'm no doctor. It took about 2-3 weeks for my skin to get back to normal as far as sensitivity & redness & flaking. But it was still splotchy with patches of skin that was thicker & sort of scaly (like harder) than the rest of my face. I was really suprised that a product that was not a peel could do this to someone's skin! I used Hydrocortisone for about 9 or 10 days, but was afraid to use it longer. I think that really helped too and I used only jojoba oil and hyaluronic acid serum - no other actives! I had a new bottle of vitamin c serum that I ended up using on my hands & my chest so it wouldn't go to waste.

After my skin got back to normal, I started slowly adding back in vitamin c & the professional solutions Multi Peptide Serum. I was OK with that, and my skin started looking better, but still more wrinkled & sallow & just old looking! I may have exxagerated when I said it aged me 5 years, (maybe more like 3?), but my skin was definitely in better condition before I started the SkinBio CP's. It made my skin dry & crepey & it seems like I had a loss of elasticity & bad skin texture. I did some research on it & found out about that bronopol, so I decided to give their first generation GHK-Cu a try, which is supposed to be better for sensitive skin (and that is the peptide that has all the studies to back it, not the generation 2 ones anyway). I was Ok with that serum (no bronopol in it though), so I used that for a few months but it just got so expensive! Now I'm using the PSF Bio-Copper Serum, which is also GHK-Cu, but about half the price. My skin loves it & I think betwen that & the vitamin c serum & series of peels, my skin is looking better than ever. But this was over a span of maybe like 4 months! Just take it VERY slow & maybe try the cortisone? Can you use it?

LHN123 wrote:
Thank you guys soooo very much, his makes my day, seriously. Thanks for clear information! I am relieved (I think!?) that it is probably a reaction to another ingredient.

And YES I know for a fact that I'm allergic to formaldehyde. I could smell it but ignored that as 1. they said it wasn't and had no relation to formaldehyde. and 2. I really wanted to use the stuff. Now I know another chemical to look out for.

Uhmmm.... Sooo.... any guesses as to how much damage can I expect to be permanent from the formaldehyde? Do either of you know what might be helpful or what to stay away from that might interact with it? How long does it stay in the skin? a week? Right now I am using 99% aloe vera jelly which has a small amount of vit C, phenoxyethanol (?), sodium hydroxide, acrylates & retinyl palmitate.

Yogagirl, you said it aged you 5 years. Were you able to recover that? And what brand of CP are you using now? I may try CPs again much later using a different company's products. ...Maybe. I have had good luck before with olay's regenerist line. Maybe that's good enough, this has been very very scarey.

I do look a bit better today, like maybe 55. So maybe a lot of it is just irritation.
LHN123

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yogagirl,

You've just made me feel a LOT better about this. If I can reverse most of it in 4 months that would be great. I'll be using the matryxl or matryxl like stuff at first as I know I can tolerate it and in the fall when my skin has healed try either other CPs or retin-a and watch carefully. The inflammation is starting to go down which is a good sign too.

I'll look for cortisone tomorrow and see if I can find an OTC without too many additives. If I find it I'll use it very sparingly and carefully. Perhaps avo oil as well if you guys think it might be better than aloe.

Funny thing, bronopol is not currently listed as an ingredient on their CP serum on their website at present, but is listed so on other web sites and also in the super CP on their website. I do think it is the most likely explanation though as what I have smells strongly like formaldehyde. I wonder if they sent me a mismarked Super CP. Or what. & then told me all my symptoms were normal. So... I don't think I'll be using them again.

>>>My skin loves it & I think betwen that & the vitamin c serum & series of peels, my skin is looking better than ever.

I'm very very glad you got your skin back so to speak! This kind of thing is so scarey isn't it?

& Thank you for your kindness :)

Lynn
yogagirl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynn,
Well the funny thing is that the CP Serum I bought from SkinBio had no ingredient list on the product label whatsoever. I found the ingredient list on their website at the time, which included that bronopol. Come to think of it, their Super GHK Serum didn't have the ingredients on the bottle either???

Yes, I just used the OTC Cortaid Gel. I hope that it all works out for you. Yes, they told me at SB that my reaction was normal too, to just water it down when I apply it & to exfoliate more. I have a hard time believeing that what happened to me (or you) was normal... I think the avocado oil should be OK as long as your skin can tolerate it & it doesn't cause breakouts for you. Good luck & please keep us updated on your progress! :D
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avocado oil is one of the few oils that wont break you out for sure

reviews here: makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=105278
yogagirl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks orangehrzn! That is so interesting! I've read on other boards people talking about using avocado oil, but I have never tried it! My skin is combination with a tendency to get oily in the summer. Do you use it? I wanna try it! :D

orangehrzn wrote:
avocado oil is one of the few oils that wont break you out for sure

reviews here: makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=105278
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do use it. My skin is oily, prone to breakouts depending on what I eat, slightly reddish from capillaries. If I use it at night, I wake up with smooth white skin. If my skin is irritated from something, I apply during the day and it's back to normal in a few hours.
yogagirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks. I really want to try it now. For some reason I thought it was for dry, mature skin. Where do you get yours?
orangehrzn

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works very well for dry mature skin but also doesn't break out acne prone skin. It is kind of strange it doesn't break out cause I find it very heavy. You can buy it at most health food stores.
yogagirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! Interesting. Thanks! I'll look for it today at Whole Foods! Thanks! :D
orangehrzn wrote:
It works very well for dry mature skin but also doesn't break out acne prone skin. It is kind of strange it doesn't break out cause I find it very heavy. You can buy it at most health food stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Copper Peptides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: