Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Peels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Small Peptides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B Grebitus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Peels Reply with quote

Hi
I am 50 years old and have Melasma on my cheek and jaw line. I just finished a treatment for broken capaleries using the V-Beam Laser and the technician suggested I look into a peel for the dark pigmentation problems and "liver spots" on my face and neck.
I am a little confused about the difference between the TCA Peels and the Glycolic & Lactic Acid Peels. Can you teel me which would be best for my pigmentation problems.
A few years ago I used a product by Rodan & Fields called Radiant. It combined Alpha Hydroxy toner with a bleaching cream and it seemed to work somewhat. Do you think your Glycolic Acid peel with a lightening cream is my best choice or does the TCA peel do the same thing - but quicker?
Thanks for your help.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCA is a considerably stronger acid than glycolic or lactic acid and therefore a peel with it is deeper and more aggressive. It might be somewhat more effective but the risk of side-effects is also greater. If it is only the dark spots that concern you, try bleaching agents first (such as hydroquinine or kojic acid) , before considering deep peels or lasers. See reviews of various skin lightening products from our visitors here http://www.smartskincare.com/reviews/product/functionidx/lighten/
DZYN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Peels Reply with quote

I race sail boats all summer long here in Chicago. Last summer, although I wore an SPF 30 lotion on my face regularly, I developed several large areas of melasma on my face. (I actually think that it may be due to the 30% glycolic acid peels that I had been giving myself, but I cannot be sure, & that's another topic that I won't go into right now.)

In the 2 week period I had before seeing my dermatologist, I did a bit of online research & decided to try an Exuviance product on my melasma. I have had good luck with their products in the past, so I purchased "Rejuvinating Complex" from their Exuviance Professional line ($40 at Ulta).

Here is how the product is described, "A professional strength, anti-aging complex to combat the visible signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles, uneven pigmentation and sun damage, including dehydration. Contains 12% poly hydroxy with Pro-Retinol and vitamin E multi-antioxidant benefits and is formulated using NeoStrata's patented Amphoteric System which allows for gentler pH."

After cleansing, I put the cream on my face & went to sleep. To my pleasant surprise, the large, dark, melasma spots on my face were CONSIDERABLY less noticeable when I woke up the next morning.

After 1 week of using this cream every night, the melasma was barely visible. My sister has now also had success with this cream on her melasma. Please note: that the melasma did not go away completely & although barely noticeable, could probably benefit from a peel or two.

In summary, I LOVE what this cream did for my melasma & will use it again next summer should the melasma come back.

DZYN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Small Peptides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: