Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Age to start using Anti-Ageing Cream- Quest. for Dr. Todorov
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepika saini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Age to start using Anti-Ageing Cream- Quest. for Dr. Todorov Reply with quote

Hello

I am a 28yrs old woman. I have been using Olay Anti-Ageing Moisturizer for past few days. Though my skin has yet not started showing signs of ageing. My friends have suggested that I should not use anti-ageing products as these eventually may end up damaging my skin. Kindly suggest;

1. Should I stop or continue using Anti-Ageing products?

In Case I should discontinue;

2. What is the right age to use anti-ageing products?

Deepika Saini
vencasand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i am not a doctor but i am a woman and starting anti aging creams is good as long as you don't go overboard. taking care of your skin is important. what you are using is good. there is nothing in the cream you are using to hurt your skin. remember to use a good sunscreen. i know tanned skin is the thing now but sun can damage your skin and make you look older than you are. best of luck.
Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why a product that's helpful for older skin would be bad for young skin. Is just doesn't make sense! Does it contain AHA? Because that will make your skin much more sun-sensitive, so it could potentially do some harm. As far as comercial Anti-Aging creams, though, I think they are mostly hype, rather than results!

A strong sun block is the most important thing. I use SPF 50, and I use it every time I go outside! Also, you can buy plain Active Ingredients from a supplier, and mix them into your own cream. That's what I do. gardenofwisdom.com and bulkactives.com are both good souces.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgo wrote:
I can't see why a product that's helpful for older skin would be bad for young skin. Is just doesn't make sense!

You cannot generalize -- it is a case-by-case situation. For example, young skin has naturally high levels of certain hormones and growth factors whereas older skin does not. Applying [some of] those actives to older skin could be beneficial but it could be excessive at best for younger skin. On the other hand, skin protection (e.g. with antioxidants) could be beneficial for both younger and older skin.
Lisa723

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for as my knowledge is concerned you should not use it unless there are some aging sign on your face or skin. You should take your friend's advise
yuri24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: anti aging Reply with quote

My bestfriend was using anti aging and whitening cream at age 28 and i seen that her pores were changing and looking older. I think when you are still at your 20's using regular creams are good enough as the skin do not need harsh chemicals to look good. It does not need much peeling to look good. Use baking soda instead to get rid of the dead skin. Try home remedies instead. Although if your goal is to lighten or whiten your skin. Try kojic soaps and creams! it also work. Olay is good if you have more money but its too expensive bec of the advertisement.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Virgo wrote:
I can't see why a product that's helpful for older skin would be bad for young skin. Is just doesn't make sense!

You cannot generalize -- it is a case-by-case situation. For example, young skin has naturally high levels of certain hormones and growth factors whereas older skin does not. Applying [some of] those actives to older skin could be beneficial but it could be excessive at best for younger skin. On the other hand, skin protection (e.g. with antioxidants) could be beneficial for both younger and older skin.

What exactly does this mean then more specifically?

My current skin care regimen consists of:
- Washing face twice daily with Cetaphil
- CE Ferulic at night
- Emu Oil at night
- Phyto Gel in the morning
- Sunscreen (Fallene Total Block SPF65) every day
- SPF50 lip balm
- Tazorac 0.01% at night

I'm currently 22.

My skin looks very good right now, and I would say tazorac has played a large role in this as I'm very acne prone. It does concern me a bit about what you say regarding how some things could be "excessive at best".

Not asking for a full on critique but does anything I'm doing strike you as too much for my age?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 0.1% or 0.01% Tazorac?
At your age, collagen synthesis is still quite robust. You may not need high potency vitamin C serum at this point, esp. as it can make Tazorac more irritating.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Is it 0.1% or 0.01% Tazorac?
At your age, collagen synthesis is still quite robust. You may not need high potency vitamin C serum at this point, esp. as it can make Tazorac more irritating.

Yes that would be true. Though to date while I have posted about irritation before I've now completely resolved that through a number of methods:
- Humdifier means that after washing my skin it's still moist and supple, so CE Ferulic spreads easier. Less CE Ferulic = less irritation.

Tazorac for whatever reason does not irritate my skin at all. Did I wrote 0.1% I think I would've meant 0.01%. Whatever the highest dose stuff is.

I apply the vit C serum, let it dry, apply tazorac, pat it in and leave for 30-45 mins, then follow with emu oil.

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not inadvertently harming my skin by doing this.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be doing more than you need to. If you are using 0.1% Tazorac, it's the highest dose. You may be able to achieve the same results with a lower dose. Also, at your age people typically don't need to boost collagen synthesis, so vitamin C serum may not be necessary.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
You might be doing more than you need to. If you are using 0.1% Tazorac, it's the highest dose. You may be able to achieve the same results with a lower dose. Also, at your age people typically don't need to boost collagen synthesis, so vitamin C serum may not be necessary.

The Tazorac I've been using primarily for acne, which it has done a good job of. My skin is perfectly clear now. You're right I could go lower. What would the negative effects of using the higher dose be?

As for vitamin C, it's really CE Ferulic as mentioned. I'm using it not for collagen synthesis but rather for its antioxidative properties and to protect against free radicals. Which on paper would appear to do a good job of complimenting sunscreen in protecting my skin.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The negative side effects of high concentrations of retinoids could be skin dryness, greater sensitivity to sun/UV and overall sensitivity to irritation.

Just to get antioxidant benefits of vitamin C, you shouldn't need 15% strong serum -- this is he concentration formulated to boost collagen synthesis.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
The negative side effects of high concentrations of retinoids could be skin dryness, greater sensitivity to sun/UV and overall sensitivity to irritation.

Just to get antioxidant benefits of vitamin C, you shouldn't need 15% strong serum -- this is he concentration formulated to boost collagen synthesis.

Do you think that given my sunscreen (Fallene Total Block) apparently includes these antioxidants that CE Ferulic would be superfluous?

Am I doing harm by using it?

Edit: Is there much difference in sun/UV sensitivity between 0.05 and 0.1% concentrations? And would this sensitivity mean anything if I'm quite literally religiously applying SPF65 Total block every day first thing in the morning all over, and using their SPF 50 COTZ lip balm? This also completely ignores my lifestyle. I'm practically not getting any sunshine except for the occasional late afternoon walk at 5pm (I do supplement with about 5,000 IU D3 daily).
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be understood that I cannot provide specific personal advice in the context of a bulletin board (w/o medical history, examination, etc.), especially since one of the creams you are using is RX (tazrotene) and I am not a clinician.

From a general standpoint, CE ferrulic in your case seems superfluous at present. Reducing the concentration of Tazarotene to the lowest one effective to control your acne would also appear reasonable (among other things -- because as far as retinoids are concerned, higher strength does not necessarily mean higher effectiveness, at least above a certain level). Anyway, this is something you should discuss with your dermatologist.
concernedpoised

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: 40 Reply with quote

I'm 40. What anti-aging products should I use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: