Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Questions about emu oil
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Avenoo, is this the type you were talking about?

chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=69587&pname=Aveeno+Daily+Moisturizing+Lotion+532ml

I couldn't find any specific facial moisturiser other than a night cream.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Never mind, I found the right one when I was at the stores!

I also purchased some organic, unrefined coconut oil.

My main concern with the coconut oil is how it's listed as being fairly comedogenic. Yet others claim it can be good for acne due do its 5-ar inhibition. I'm going to apply it tonight and see.

What do you think? While you did mention it and emu oil as possible moisturizer alternatives, would it be wise for me to use if I'm acne prone? And are these claims of it somehow being good for acne despite being comedogenic true?

Sorry for the questions
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of comedogenicity, it is mostly trial and error. Often the same ingredient would improve acne in some, and be comedogenic in others. Just find what work for you. Both emu oil and coconut oil may be worth a try.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
In terms of comedogenicity, it is mostly trial and error. Often the same ingredient would improve acne in some, and be comedogenic in others. Just find what work for you. Both emu oil and coconut oil may be worth a try.

Just tried the avenoo. It seems to be fine and doesn't break me out. The biggest issue is how due to the glycerin it has a very matte finish.

This is fine at night, however when I put some on this morning before applying my sunscreen it made spreading it very difficult. I'll need something oiler or smoother to use in the morning.

I decided too I'll use avenoo until I'm more or less clear in a week's time. Then test coconut oil. That way I can be sure it wasn't some other factor breaking me out.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Todorov, what kind of sick, cruel trick have you played on me!???

Avenoo is like glycerin tar. No wonder it moisturisers for 24 hours, you can't wash the bloody stuff off!!!

My face and neck feel like plastic after showering!
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any problems with it but skin care is individual. If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, just switch to a different moisturizer. You can also DIY one if commercial ones don't suite you.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
I didn't have any problems with it but skin care is individual. If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, just switch to a different moisturizer. You can also DIY one if commercial ones don't suite you.

haha all good. It was worth a try.

Does your avenoo wash off alright? What cleanser are you using? I found sorbelene cream worked to get rid of the avenoo. I'm guessing that's due to the paraffin/mineral oils in it.

----------------update-------------------

I'm thinking of buying more emu oil. Breakouts can't be confirmed as linked. If they were perhaps I was simply use too much of the stuff.

After researching it honestly seems like emu oil is the only stuff that really ticks all the boxes for a moisturiser. Please tell me if this is true, but what I have found:

It's moisturising, non-comedogenic, good for acne redness, contains nothing that is pro-ageing, all natural, no "nasties" of weird stuff in it which I'm trying to avoid.

The more I Look it's just like all moisturisers such. The expensive ones have d-panthenol and other stuff in them. The cheap ones are glycerin and mineral oil. I'm looking forward to trying the MitoQ one which I'll make a thread about later.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It remains unclear of d-panthenol is good for long-term use. So, if you find that emu oil agrees with you, then you can just use it as a moisturizer.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
It remains unclear of d-panthenol is good for long-term use. So, if you find that emu oil agrees with you, then you can just use it as a moisturizer.

In your article you state:
"Panthenol is known to stimulate the proliferation of dermal fibroblasts. Over the short term, this is beneficial and facilitates skin healing and revitalization. However, excessive cell proliferation over the long run may lead to the so-called cell senescence, a pro-aging, metabolically abnormal state when cells can no longer divide (see our article about cellular senescence and Hayflick limit). Therefore, until continuous, long-term use of panthenol is better researched, it is better to use it only on a short-term basis: e.g. periodically, 2-4 weeks at a time."

This seems to me to be quite straightforward. If it's stimulating proliferation of the dermal fibrolasts then d-panthenol is always bringing one closer to the hayflick limit. Therefore, it is pro-aging in the long-term.

It's for this reason I am trying to avoid it. Is my understanding of this somehow incorrect?

The only way I can see this not being a problem is that the hayflick limit is apparently not proven in living humans, and despite being demonstrates in vitro it remains to be concretely proved.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your reasoning is basically correct.
Discohouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emu oil is great. I use one that is triple refined and more liquidy so it penetrates faster and deeper.

As for using Aveeno, I would prefer to DIY one, since I do not like the ingredient distearyldimonium chloride to be something to cling onto my face. This chemical is used in conditioners to "cling" to your hair, since it contains a positive charge on it so it can not be washed off. I can see how this would help Aveeno to stay on skin for so long (along with the dimethicone, and petrolatum), but the fact that if you wanted to wash the distearyldimonium chloride off and apply actives later on, or the next day, it might cause some problems with actives not being able to penetrate since it would be impossible to remove something with a positive charge on it.

I would rather DIY one with just water, glycerin, oat beta glucan, and dimethicone (to help trap moisture in skin), some natural oils, emulsifier, and safe preservative. I would stay away from the petroleum in this due to contamination concerns with carcinogens. Some people cannot handle -cones, but if you can, it really helps keep moisture from escaping, and CAN be washed off if you wash it off REALLY well (use something like a safe oily makeup remover before using a mild cleanser) whereas the distearyldimonium chloride would be a whole different situation in trying to wash it off...

Any suggestions on what %s to use to DIY an Aveeno-like cream?
I know that the oat beta glucan should maybe be at about 1-2%,
the glycerin maybe like 3% or so? and the dimethicone maybe 3% too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: