Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Dr. T, Can these ingredients cause glycation to skin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discohouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Dr. T, Can these ingredients cause glycation to skin? Reply with quote

Dr. T, I am using a facial cleanser with a new glucose-based emulsifiers/foaming agent ingredients, in order to stay away from other cleansers that are either too natural and made of real soap and therefore are too alkaline for the skin and could cause long term skin damage, while also trying to stay away from cleansers made from emulsifiers/foaming agents that contain traces of 1,4-dioxane and ethylene oxide during manufacturing processes. 1,4-dioxane and ethylene oxide are known in the State of California to be carcinogens according to California's Proposition 65 (most of the Sodium Laureth Sulfates and its MANY derivatives are contaminated with 1,4-dioxane and ethyelene oxide, according to Enviromental Working Group's online site "Skin Deep Cosmetic Database").

So because of the above concerns, I am using a cleanser which contains coco-glucoside and decyl glucoside. So my question is: could these glucose-based cleansers I am using potentially cause glycation to my skin since they are glucose-based?
Or could it be assumed since it has a short contact on skin, it would just emulsify the oils on the skin and would be completely washed off the skin and leave no trace behind to do any damage?

More info on these foaming agents:

1. Coco-glucoside: is a synthetic surfactant produced by chemical reaction between glucose and coconut oil-derived ingredients.

2. Decyl glucoside: is a glucose-based surfactant used in shampoos and body washes

So in the end, I do not want to use anything contaminated with carginogens, even though many of the common facial foaming agents are PH friendly to the skin, but on the other hand I do not want to use natural made soaps either, no matter how natural they are, since they are all very alkaline and would cause long term skin damage.

Your insight would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Discohouse on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting post. I would like to find a good SLS-free cleanser one day. For now I do tend to think that even the harmful ingredients in cleansers are unlikely to do any damage given the short amount of time they spend on the skin. Still curious to see what Dr T says.

Dr T if while you're at it would you mind telling us what cleanser you use?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Basic Skin Care / Skin Health Maintenance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: