Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

Causes and prevention of facial fat sagging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Causes and prevention of facial fat sagging Reply with quote

Is there anything that can be done from a topical or skin care point of view that can prevent or retard facial fat sagging? In particular I mean the malar fat pad which is responsible for nasiolabial folds in a big way.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat, per se, doesn't sag, it is the skin that sags. However, facial fat can get redistributed due to systemic hormonal changes and mechanical stresses. I am not sure topicals alone can be effective to reverse this.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Fat, per se, doesn't sag, it is the skin that sags. However, facial fat can get redistributed due to systemic hormonal changes and mechanical stresses. I am not sure topicals alone can be effective to reverse this.

Is that really so? I'd read about malar fat pad sagging and midface lifts, and the impression I got what these were related to a sagging of FAT, not skin. So the skin could be very good but the fat will still migrant or disappear which results in an aged appearance.

But what you're saying is that fat is basically stuck to the skin and can't move, only disappear through ageing (but not actually sag independently)?

Finally, have you noticed in some faces they appear to be quite gaunt in the malar fat pad region and will never develop nasolabial folds in their life. I'm trying to understand how this is. It seems to be a factor of facial morphology rather than skin quality (as they can have drooping and wrinkles elsewhere). Perhaps they lack the heaviness of fat in that region to pull the skin down? Perhaps it's a combination of that and good support in the midface.
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adipose (fat) tissue does not have a structural (load bearing) role. It is attached to other structural tissues, such as skin. How it is attached, can change, which is called fat redistribution. How, the term "sagging" is usually referred to slackening of structural tissues, such as skin, to which fat is attached.
LoveBuzz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drtodorov wrote:
Adipose (fat) tissue does not have a structural (load bearing) role. It is attached to other structural tissues, such as skin. How it is attached, can change, which is called fat redistribution. How, the term "sagging" is usually referred to slackening of structural tissues, such as skin, to which fat is attached.

So if this adipose tissue is attached to the skin then is it fair to assume that the distribution of it plays a role in skin sagging?

To make an example, wouldn't someone with "heavy" malar fat pad (lots of fat) be more prone to nasolabial folds as this fat is added extra weight to that part of the skin, which will invariably sag sooner? Not helped of course by a lack of support from the facial structure. And is one reason why thin people age better.
nicola_bop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Causes and prevention of facial fat sagging Reply with quote

LoveBuzz wrote:
Is there anything that can be done from a topical or skin care point of view that can prevent or retard facial fat sagging? In particular I mean the malar fat pad which is responsible for nasiolabial folds in a big way.

There is no special technique or way to prevent facial fat loss it depends on the anatomy, genes etc. There are various factors that contribute some people have thinner facial skin which are usually the people who tend to have higher risk of loosing facial fat and having saggy skin. But all in all it comes down to your type of skin and genetics you would have to be evaluated to see what type of skin you have any maybe take some measures but there is no specific way or anything to do to avoid it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Skin Rejuvenation / Anti-Aging All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: