Smart Skin Care Forums
Home  -   Forum Index  -   Search  -   Register  -   Profile  -   Log in  -   FAQ  -   Contact Us

CoQ10....Any Input?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Cell Energy Production Co-Factors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigi70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: CoQ10....Any Input? Reply with quote

I have been using a cream that has CoQ10 (at a 1% strength) for about three months now and I THINK I see a difference in my fine lines (might be just wishful thinking!!!). It is a very nice cream either way and very inexpensive. There are SO many creams out there (high priced and also low end drug store variety), but most won't list the amount of the CoQ10 that is in them, they only list it as an ingredient so they can use it to promote the cream. I know (at least from what I've read) that the cream needs to be a light orange color for it to have a significant amount of CoQ10 in it and that MOST of these creams are still white in color.
I just found this written about using gelcaps of CoQ10 to puncture and apply the CoQ10 that is inside on your face.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/miy1/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E
Any comments?
I have the gelcaps (I take them internally) and think it's a great idea, but does anyone have experience with or an opinion about the effectiveness of CoQ10?
Thanks!
gigi
gigi70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that link doesn't take you right to the information written on CoQ10 (I just tried it!!!). If you want to read it, just click on the above link and then click on the "Advanced Search" button on the left and then just scroll down to where you can enter a number. Enter 1574.1 and that will take you right to the info and comments.
Thanks again for any feedback on what was written or if anyone has other opinions on CoQ10.
gigi
guapagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nivea coq10 eyecream, but it never did zip for me. Mind you, i never used it much and it was white as well. I had heard that idebenone is a follow on from it. It's supposed to be the bee's knees, but then isn't everything :?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as savings are concerned, CoQ10 is one of those ingredients that are relativele easy and reasonably safe to use in DIY formulations. As fas as its effectiveness for wrinkles, see my article
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/coq10.html

Last edited by drtodorov on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkeyGoW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CoQ10....Any Input? Reply with quote

gigi70 wrote:
I have been using a cream that has CoQ10 (at a 1% strength) for about three months now and I THINK I see a difference in my fine lines (might be just wishful thinking!!!).
Thanks!
gigi

Obviously, I am no doctor and the article DrTodorov wrote
is excellent explaing the CoQ10!! Thank you!

Here is a study done to help encourage us all to
consider using/trying this product! Gigi, doesn't look
as though you are imagining this at all! ;-)
Also, I know many people who use the capsules
for their skin care!!

Paul Gerson Unna Forschungszentrum Beiersdorf AG, Hamburg.

Oxidative stress (UV irradiation, free radicals) plays a significant role in aging. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and exogenously applied antioxidants can significantly reduce the formation of oxidative stress with increasing age. In our in vitro and in vivo experiments concerning the parameters of ultraweak photon emission (UPE), intracellular thiol status, mitochondrial membrane potential and cell vitality, we demonstrated a diminished resistance in keratinocytes of old donors against UV irradiation. This reduced epidermal resistance against oxidative stressors, i.e. UV irradiation, can be improved by topical application of CoQ10 and antioxidants like alpha-glucosylrutin (15). Furthermore, our in vivo investigations show that wrinkles around the region of the eyes ("crow feet") could be reduced by long-term application of CoQ10.

NOTE: since I am new to posting here PLEASE let me know if
a post such as this is out of line...

Still learning and always will be!
gigi70

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
quapagirl, I've heard some about Ibedenone, but tried anything that has this in it, yet. I think I read that it was an "analogue" of CoQ10.....Dr. or Markey, care to elaborate??? :D
I read the article by Dr. Todorov just now and it IS excellent! Thanks!
Markey, I started laughing halfway through the study results.....I thought, "is this written in English????" I think that there might be a couple of people on here that would understand this completely....the Dr. and Mr. CJDavis (and I'm sure you, Markey, understand it too!). :D I did like AND understand the last line about reducing the crows feet.....those are all I have so far and I'd like to keep it that way! Reducing them would be great too.
Thanks for your help.
gigi
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To your question about idebenone.

Luckily, I got an article on that as well, so I don't have to write a long post. Go to:
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/idebenone.html
MarkeyGoW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigi70 wrote:
I did like AND understand the last line about reducing the crows feet.....those are all I have so far and I'd like to keep it that way! Reducing them would be great too.
Thanks for your help.
gigi

Hey, I read that thing ten times to hopefully be able to post
it and not sound like an idiot in doing so. The only thing I
understood before reading it over and over and over was
the above quote from you.

To me it's like being back in school and suffering through
the words until it forms some sort of semblance in my little
mind!!

*laughing*
guapagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used idebenone, though I was tempted by the stuff puredeming sells. It's a new formulation because apparantly lots of people had a bad reaction to the first one they did. It now has 0.1% idebenone. Would that be enough to make any difference I wonder?

I think I'll stick with my matrixyl and copper peps for now :)
gigi70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guapagirl,
Which matrixyl solution are you using and what is the percentage of matrixyl in it? Thanks!
gigi
Allyssa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a CoQ10 product by avalon and it works great. I would like to add DMAE to it though.
gigi70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allyssa,
I think it should be fine to add the DMAE. There's another thread on here about how to dissolve it and add it to creams. I think it's pretty recently posted. If you can't find the thread, I'll look for it too!
gigi
Allyssa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gigi, I have the DIY info pack that also tells you how to dissolve the DMAE. If you don't find the thread I can email it to you. I think that this would be a great combination. Have you ever used the CoQ10 cream, serum, or lotion by Avalon? Which one do you use?
drtodorov
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guapagirl wrote:
I haven't used idebenone, though I was tempted by the stuff puredeming sells. It's a new formulation because apparantly lots of people had a bad reaction to the first one they did. It now has 0.1% idebenone. Would that be enough to make any difference I wonder?

I think I'll stick with my matrixyl and copper peps for now :)

It could be enough, but at this point the data on idebenone is insufficient to deduce what the optimum concentration is or even whether it is better than Q10.
gigi70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allyssa!
I use the CoQ10 Cream from the Young Again site (you can order this cream online from other companies for as much as $45.00 per jar, but if you order directly from their site, it's $14.95). It has a 1% strength of CoQ10 and I really like it. The owner of the company is a bit bizarre and quite (understatement) opinionated, but interesting :) Here's the website:
http://www.youngagain.com
I think I already asked you this.....but can you tell me where you buy your Avalon products? I looked at some of them tonight online and they look great! Have you found where they are priced the best?
Thanks a bunch!
gigi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smart Skin Care Forum Index -> Cell Energy Production Co-Factors All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: